Out With The Old

Foxy sleepily opened her eyes. Her batteries were at full capacity again, she noticed. Her visual receptors weren't up and running yet, but she could feel the cold concrete of the Auditorium under her legs. One of her ears was pressed up against some sort of machinery - she could hear it, quietly whirring to life. It was awfully soft, though.

Her scent receptors came online next. She could smell the sharp tang of metal and a mustiness she wasn't used to in her Auditorium. There was also another smell that was vaguely familiar. It was sort of like mint, but rustier, and with elements of thick smoke and fine ash.

Next came her mental hearing. Ballora's jewelry-box music had started up as she danced, the eerie tune penetrating the thought barrier. Foxy could practically feel her movements - twirling, pirouetting, leaning and leaping in perfect tandem with her Minireenas. She could hear Baby's vague thoughts as she calibrated her strange machine in the Scooping Room. She could hear Bon-bon putting in random comments as Freddy tinkered with his own mechanics in the Supply room.

Then her visual receptors blinked to life. Foxy left her eyes closed. There was no need to see until she remembered where she was and what she had to do.

Finally, her memory banks. Most of last night was hazy, since her memory storage hadn't had the power to store high-resolution memories. She could remember talking to Foxy, she could remember going into low-power mode after a few hours. After that, it was all blurry.

"Are you awake, or dead?"

The Auditorium.

She hadn't gone back into the Auditorium.

Foxy's eyes flew wide open and she was on her feet before her lids had reached the top of her eyehole. "The Auditorium!"

Foxy was lying against the boxes, as usual, with a can of tools beside him. He yawned, his ears pulling back, and raised an eyebrow. "I did try to get you out."

Woah, woah, calm down, Ballora said. Don't worry. I had you covered. I pulled the worker from last night into my endoskeleton and let them take control. They ran for the elevators, and went through the vents. Of course, the intercom bot wouldn't let my signature through, so I released him and casually smashed the camera as I fell. The dayshift workers will only have seen the night shift worker taking away one of the animatronics. Since you weren't there in the morning, they'll assume that the worker managed to smuggle you out. They'll think that he was stealing the animatronics. You're safe.

Springlocks, Ballora, Foxy sighed, collapsing against the wall. You saved my life.

It's my job to help you when you mess things up, Ballora said lightly. Think nothing of it. Just make sure you're out there tonight, make them think he returned you out of guilt or whatever the emotion is.

Have I ever told you how amazing you are?

Probably. I wouldn't mind hearing it again, though.

Foxy grinned and fell back in relief. They weren't going to replace her. She was safe.

"Everything alright?" Foxy asked, scratching his eyepatch.

"It is now," she said, looking his way. Again, he held her gaze. Never wavering. It made Foxy both uncomfortable and strangely at ease.

Nodding, Foxy started adjusting his hook. "Why do you need to be out there every morning anyway?"

Foxy got up and started pulling down the tools she would need for tonight's job. "First off, if we go missing with no explanation, that encourages the rumors that we're sentient. Our heads would be on the chopping block if they found that out. But if that didn't happen, then we'd just gone missing. Meaning that the company would need a new animatronic. Meaning we'd be replaced."