Chapter Forty-One: Waiting Game

Elliot

Walking around the track feels weird to me. I want so badly to run I can barely stand it. Taking things slow has never been my thing. I've always wanted to find the fastest way possible to get to the end of something, and my current situation, is no different.

The music blaring through my iPod is barely drowning out the incessant yelling coming from Ollie over by the bleachers. I shake my head as I scroll through my playlist. I'm about to round the corner when I see Judah walking toward the track. He smiles over at me as he approaches.

"Hey, babe." He pulls me into him and kisses me before I have a chance to fully register his presence.

I kiss him back and barely think twice about it. Hunter was right, this does almost feel normal to me. "What are you doing here?" I ask, taking a step back.

"It's the end of the semester. Not a lot going on right now."

I nod forward. "You can walk with me." I take my earbuds out and wrap them around my hand as he falls into step beside me. "I have to talk to you, anyway."

He laces his hand with mine. "Sure, what's up?"

It's hard to feel so desolate inside when Judah is walking around like everything is roses. I know I'm slowly torturing him by allowing him to go along with this charade, and he does it with a smile on his face.

I lower my eyes to the track. "Hunter and I broke up."

His hand squeezes mine, but he doesn't miss a step. He's quiet for a moment and then he tilts his head to me. "Are you fucking with me?"

I shake my head slowly. "Nope."

He pulls me to a stop and places his hands on my shoulders. "Elle, are you okay?" His eyes darken after a moment. "Did he hurt you?" He removes his hands from me, his nostrils flaring as he looks around the field. "Is he here?"

I laugh a little and tug on his arm. "No, Judah. He's not here." He looks down at me, his chest still heaving slightly in anger. "And no to all of your other questions, too."

His face falls. "So, you're not okay?"

I smile. "That's the only part you're worried about?"

"Of course, babe. The last thing I want is for you to be sad." He grabs my hand again and kisses the back of it. "That's what I'm here for. To make you smile."

For some reason his words have the opposite effect, and I start to cry. He pulls me against his chest, and I wrap my arms around his waist. "It's really over this time."

Judah continues to console me while I cry into his T-shirt. I find it incredibly strange that neither of us finds it odd I'm crying over the guy who basically tried to kill him, and is most of the reason we aren't together in the first place.

He pulls back and wipes a tear from my cheek. "What can I do?" he whispers.

I shrug. "Walk with me?"

Instead of answering, he takes my hand again and continues to walk slowly around the perimeter of the track. We're both quiet for the longest time until he finally speaks.

"Elle, I know there's nothing I can say to make you feel better right now." I look up at him and the sincerity in his eyes almost brings me to tears again. "But I want you to know that this doesn't change anything. I'm here for you no matter what. If you still want to go to prom, we'll go to prom. If you don't, then we'll do something else. None of that stuff matters to me. I just want you to be happy."