The Start of Something Beautiful

It was 2345 when the wiener-dog apocalypse hit.  One day, everyone was snuggling with their favorite pooches.  The next day, every single one of them had been transformed into a ravenous, flesh-eating, deceptively cute, allergy-inducing killing machine.  Even the pugs.

Half of humanity fell when the transformation happened, due to the fact that half of humanity was completely made up of dog people.  I, personally, have always been a cat person myself, and that fact alone saved my life that day.  No one really knows what caused every dog on Earth to spontaneously turn into demon wiener-dogs, but these days, everyone knows that if you're caught by one of 'em, you're a dead man.  Or woman.  Or gender-fluid person.  Or... you know what?  You get the point.

These days I travel around solo, drifting from place to place with my little sister and my trusty tabby at my side.  My name is Qwerty, my sister's name is Uiop, and our cat's name is Asdf.

Yeah, we had really weird parents.

Anyway, it was about three months after the outbreak the our group stumbled across an old shopping mall.

"What do ya think, sis?" Uiop said to me, shifting her backpack of lethal weapons around on her back.  I narrowed my eyes at the derelict building.

"Looks like it was abandoned long before the outbreak even hit," I replied.  Uiop chuckled.  It was important to keep your spirits up this day and age.  Depression was far too easy to catch.

"True," she said, "But aren't we kinda low on supplies?"  I shifted the pack on my back nervously, a tic I'd developed for whenever supplies were mentioned, especially if we were running low.

"Do you think there would even be food in there?  And even if there was, would it even still be good?"

"I don't know, but if there is food in there, I'll probably eat it regardless."  Uiop's stomach growled in agreement.

I couldn't deny that we were both hungry, but I also couldn't deny that the place looked like a breath of wind would knock it down.  "All right, but bring out Asdf, and lets keep our wits about us."

Uiop did a little jump in excitement, then skipped over to our two-seater pickup.  No, I'm technically too young to drive, being fourteen, but desperate times call for having a ride, and Mom and Dad... well, they weren't around anymore.  So I found myself a self-taught driver pretty quickly.

Uiop opened the passenger door, lugging out a heavy-looking plastic carrier, slamming the door behind her.  She unceremoniously plopped the carrier onto the ground and opened the door.  Asdf slinked out quick as you please, and Uiop ran back over to the truck with the empty carrier, able to go much faster now that her load was much lighter.

I knelt down towards Asdf, and she sat down, regarding me with intelligent eyes.  Before the outbreak, Asdf had been a pretty dang lazy cat, but she had learned quickly that she needed to work to survive.

"Ya ready, Asdf?" I asked giving her scratch behind the ears, and she purred in both agreement and joy.

"Arm up," Uiop said, turning around so I could get at her back pack.  I dug through and eventually settled on a tennis ball launcher, slipping a few extra tennis balls.  Uiop settled on a melee walking pole she'd found on our last excursion, which had been an abandoned Sports Authorization.  Asdf just went and sharpened her claws on a rock 'cause she's just badass like that.

After we all seemed ready, I looked at Uiop, who nodded.  I looked over at Asdf, who also nodded because she's just badass like that.

Then, we all walked into the abandoned mall...

'Cuz we're jus badass like dat.

Hi!  First off, thank you for reading this far!  I don't know if this is any good or if I'm even gonna continue this, but you made it through a chapter!  YAY!

Anyway, if you liked this chapter and want me to continue (or even if you don't), feel free to vote or tell me how I did!  Constructive criticism and suggestions are always welcome!

Also, in case you didn't believe the description, yes, this chapter was written after midnight.  As such, I apologize if this made no sense or just wasn't as funny as semi-tired me thought it was.  Really.

Anyway, see ya'll later!

Peace!