Chapter 1: Introduction

I can't remember the last time I had trouble sleeping. Life used to be so simple, so easy... What the hell happened?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

My deep blue eyes stared ahead in atent, not breaking the look I was sharing with my mirroring eyes in the grimy girls bathroom mirror. They broke contact to glance down at my quivering hands causing me to gnash my teeth in frustration and physically resist the shaking. They flitted back up to my reflection and I scrutinized my appearance.

What is it about me that makes myself such a target? I thought indignantly. I swallowed back the lump in my throat as I heard Cassandra's haunting voice echoing irritatingly in my ears.

"Wow, did you think I was serious?" She had jeered at me. "I never thought you would actually take me serious!" She had then tossed her head back, releasing spiteful laughter. "Look don't be so sensitive! Its annoying. Really, you're a cry baby."

"I am not." I hissed at the mirror. I sighed, rubbing my makeup free eyes with ease, and rolled my shoulder blades in a comforting stretching manner. "I need to go to class." I cast a look at my tall, slim reflection in the mirror and bit my lip nervously, knowing I'd have to face Cassandra and my other cruel classmates now. At least I wasn't a coward. At least I face my problems.

I pinched the bridge of my nose in frustration, hoping to release this stress. I just don't charge them head on like I should...

Upon entering the classroom, it seemed God answered my unceasing prayer to go unnoticed. Slick as a fox, I slipped into my seat without drawing attention from anyone. Well, except Arianna. She ruffled her dark brown hair and shot me a thousand watt, dimpled smile which complimented her tan Latino face nicely. "Morning!" She chirped. I chewed on my bottom lip and nodded in turn, mumbling 'Good morning' back to her. She leant back in her desk and pursed her lips.

"So I heard Cassandra had another 'episode' this morning," She added air quotes. I scoffed and knitted my eyebrows together as I slumped in my seat.

"That's an understatement of the century." I grumbled. "She took my journal and I maturly approached her to get it back and said I would get adult interference if I needed to. Then she got extremly defensive and started embarrassing me and called me-,"

"Cry baby!" A voice called out over the class. I groaned and hung my head in defeat. I wish I had the courage to snap back at her. "Cry baby, I'm talking to you!"

I felt Cassandra looming over me, nudging me with her arm. "I have a name." I spoke softly. She laughed, her ebony black braids falling past her waist. Her milk chocolate brown skin was creamy and smooth. Her light brown eyes narrowed on me and I felt her curvy bod pressing up against me uncomfortably.

"And you think I give a shit?" She snickered. "You know, being a snitch is a real turn off, is that why you can't get a boyfriend? Little mouth of yours to loose to-,"

"Well its a hell of a lot better than being a whore, Cassandra! At least she knows how to keep her legs closed!" Arianna venomously spat. I froze on the spot. Did she just... Immediately, I felt Cassandra's body diappear.

"Bitch I will knock your little Latino singing ass back to Mexico!" Cass reared, getting in Ari's face. "Step off."

"I don't see what the problem is, when all she did was ask you for her journal back, which you stole from her." She spoke calmly. Her eyes flew open and glared harshly at Cass. "Puta' don't even start with racism, with me! I could say a hell of alot more about you!" She snarled.

Cass bowed up, but then froze, backing down when she put more thought to it. That's Cass for you. She all tough and a bit up tight, but she's a thinker. She may seem like she's heartless, but racism is a touchy point for her. Nobody knows why. She frowned and turned away curtly from Arianna, who stood near a half foot shorter, and brushed past me, muttering "Watch your step, white girl."

I shot Arianna a shocked glance, though I was grateful, I was now terrified of what could possibly happen to me. Suddenly the door swung open and our short, pudgy homeroom teacher Mrs Carpenter bustled in, flying to her desk. I was already seated, so as she shouted out commands, I was in the clear.

"Settle down class! Settle down! Mark, give Jen back her book, Catty take your seat," She bellowed.

"Its Cass!" Cassandra groaned, but fell into a desk anyways.

Once all was quiet, our snowy haired teacher stood at the podium and began roll. "Parker...John...Kindall...Arianna...Blake-," When she realized Blake had not stood or answered, her eyes scanned the room, finding his seat empty. "Does anyone know the whereabouts of Blake?"

Parker fidgeted uncomfortably, but raised a hesitant hand. "He's still sick, ma'am. He's got that fever,"

"The flu." She corrected. But sympathy played in her blinding blue eyes. "How is he doing? Any better?"

Parker paused, seeming to think for  a moment before shaking his head. "The fevers gone up, ma'am."

Mrs. Carpenter sighed and scanned the room again. "Where is Josie and Reed?"

Kindall raised her hand, but kept her eyes on the floor. "I talked to Josie and Reed's moms. They're sick too."

Our elderly teacher pinched the bridge of her nose in frustration. "This is...nevermind. Open your text books."