Chapter 8: Gladiator Style?

Today marks the end of my second full week in Beacon Hills. It's about a week after the night I woke Isaac from his nightmare. We'd spent a majority of the week together and I had fought valiantly to not get attached to him. It was stupid to let myself get sort of involved with someone who was going to be returning to London today. I was out of the loop on how they did it, but the important part was that Scott, Lydia, Malia, Liam, and Mason, plus Theo, figured out and defeated the Anuk-Ite.

But now I had to say goodbye to Isaac.

He was standing at the door, holding his bag of possessions. I was standing in front of him. Outside waited Scott in the Jeep, ready to bring him to the airport. Tomorrow the Pack would leave for college, everyone except Liam and Mason, anyway. Ms. McCall had returned home yesterday and was strictly confined to bed rest. Scott was entrusting me with her care, and I would keep staying in the spare bedroom. Not only was I being entrusted with his mother, but all of Beacon Hills. I would work with Liam and Mason, and I had no complaints. I was glad that they trusted me. I'm sure they even thought of me as part of the Pack.

Isaac stooped down and gave me a soft kiss on the lips, a quick peck. "I wish I didn't have to go." His voice was thick with regret and I shook my head with a smile.

"I'll miss you, Isaac. But don't be sad." As much as I would've liked to cry, I didn't do it often and I didn't like to. "It was a fun week."

He nodded but didn't say anything. "Goodbye, Margret."

"Goodbye, Isaac." I give him another kiss before he turns and goes. Lydia and Malia are off packing for their respective colleges so when I turn back to the living room it's just Liam and Mason. Liam lets out an awkward cough and I glare at him. "How old are you?"

He just smirks and looks away, ignoring me. The three of us listen to the Jeep start up and pull out of the driveway.

I see Mason turn to me with a bright smile. "Do you play like a cat?

"Excuse me?" I ask, visibly offended. "I am still a person, you know."

"Well you said every year or so you lose control and go out and kill something. Do you just need to hunt or is it the actual killing thing part that fulfills the lion's desire?" I understand now. Mason's trying to solve my rare homicidal spells.

I have to think for a few moments and I still don't come up with an answer. "I don't know. Usually, I come back into control once the meal is done." When I say it out loud, it sounds like I need to eat something.

Mason thinks for a moment before laughing. "Is the lion just hungry?" He actually stands up in excitement.

I furrow my eyebrows as I contemplate that idea. "I rarely eat in any form other than when I'm a person. I like to retain my humanity. I eat maybe once a month as a lion. Maybe." It was fun, eating when I was a lion. It took a lot more food to get full but at the same time, I was capable of catching more. "But the lion and I are the same thing."

"When was the last time you ate as a lion other than last week?" Mason's arms spread out slightly, his palms facing me as he asks.

"I don't remember." I answer honestly, but I don't remember a lot of things.

"Go shift." Mason smiled. I tilt my head and raise an eyebrow in defiance. "We brought something for you."

I sigh and go upstairs. As soon as I'm in the room I strip before shifting into my lion form. I descend the stairs with loud steps. When I reach the bottom, I see Mason standing in the living room with a raw steak in his hands. I sigh. "A lion eats up to 25 pounds a day, sometimes up to one hundred pounds in one sitting."