Chapter Four.

"So, Rose??" Lefou broke the deafening silence that only grew the longer they walked the halls. "Yes?" Rose stated. "I'm a good friend of Monsieur Gaston's. Would you like to be friends with me, Rose?" Lefou enquired to her. "I would love to be friends with you! And you are friends with my fathe-I mean the great Monsieur Gaston." Lefou's eyes widened when he realized what Rose was about to say. "Mademoiselle, were you about to say that Gaston is indeed your father?" Rose swallowed very thickly before answering Lefou's question. "I'm not really supposed to say." Rose replied suddenly very uncomfortable. "But we're friends now, so we can tell each other these things." Lefou insisted.

"Oh alright. Monsieur Gaston is my father." Rose admitted, with an uneven breath. Lefou rubbed a hand over his mouth to prevent him from gasping. Lefou had so many questions, that would more likely be left unanswered. "Rose, what happened to your mother?" Lefou asked next. Rose looked down on the ground and swallowed harshly. "My mama is dead. T-that's why I'm here." Rose said slowly nodding her head yes. "Oh! I see. How do you like it here so far?" Lefou inquired. "I don't know. I wish oh well never mind that." Rose shrugged sadly, looking down at her feet.

"What is it, dear child?." Lefou asked, as his eyebrows knitted together. "I wish Monsieur Gaston loved me like I love him." Rose admitted, with a long and deep sigh. For only six years old, Rose was very wise beyond her years. Lefou had no idea what to say to poor Rose so he suggested that they continue the rest of the way to the dining hall in silence.

Gaston turned away from his sister, too ashamed to look at her. "I did not mean like that, Gaston. But you must accept responsibility for her. She is your flesh and blood." Lucy laid her hand on his broad and muscular shoulder. "I know, I know. But I have missed six or seven years of her life. She is a stranger to me." Gaston picked at his thumb. "It's never too late, you know." Lucy said, rubbing his shoulder.

"I know. I told you that." Gaston said, smirking to himself. "There's my Gaston. Better now?" Lucy grinned, tapping his back. "A little. Thank you, sister." Gaston turned around and kissed her on the cheek and stood. "Where are you going?" Lucy asked, tilting her head slightly and standing up as well. "I'm arrangements to make." Gaston opening the door for them both.

Gaston knew exactly he was doing. It was precisely Rose and him both needed. Gaston was travelling the hall to his office when he came into contact his good old friend Lefou. "Hello, Lefou." Gaston said, continuing his way. "Gaston, can I have a minute with you?" Lefou raised an eyebrow. "Well sure, what do you need?" Gaston stopped in his tracks and walked back towards him. "I met our new guest." Lefou spoke up. Gaston's face instantly drops. "I see. Why don't we finish this conversation in the library, if we may?" Gaston suggested. Lefou nodded his head, following Gaston.

Gaston shuts the door behind him, and Lefou stands in front of the fireplace with his arms cross. "Give it to me straight, Lefou. Don't hold back." Gaston knew this was coming in the back of his mind. "Who is Rose's mother? How could you, Gaston!?" Lefou cried, shaking his head back and forth in complete anguish. "I don't know if you recall a fair maiden who went by, Victoria?" Gaston couldn't answer him at first. Lefou realized why Rose looked so familiar, as she favored so much of her mother. "I wasn't aware that she became pregnant. Last I saw of her was the day I told her late husband was dead." Gaston admitted. "I guess no one knew but, promise me you are going to care for her now?" Lefou cared for deeply for Rose, even know that he hadn't known her but so long.

"I swear on my life I will not let anything happen to that little girl." Gaston licked his lips. "Now if you'll excuse me, Lefou I have some important matters to attend to." Gaston said, showing Lefou the door.

"That little girl has a name and her name is Rose." Lefou huffed, storming out of the door. Gaston swallowed thickly as Lefou passed him, probably the angriest he's seen him in quite some time.