05

"Well that could've gone over a lot better," I groaned, rubbing a hand down my face. I leaned against my headboard and let out a sigh.

No use dwelling on it. What's done is done, and frankly, I wouldn't change my response.

"Einstein, Earth status. Is there any change from yesterday?" Peeling myself off the bed, I walked over to the small kitchen. I grabbed a glass and filled it with purified water from the sink.

I had just taken a swig when Einstein said, "Status: Organisms are nearly fully evolved, approximately 1,824 years until they reach god potential. The current year is 2017. The human population has grown tenfold and the Earth is now in danger of failing due to lack of resources."

Water spewed out of my mouth, and some dribbled out of my nose. I coughed violently for a few seconds before I felt recovered enough to utter a painful "What?" through my sore throat.

"Status: Organi---"

"Stop," I commanded, wiping my mouth with the back of my hand. "I heard you," I grumbled, walking over to my desk and plopping down into my comfort-billow. The hovering chair dipped slightly before rising back up.

"Would you like to hear how the history has changed?"

"No, I don't want to hear how the history changed," I snapped, my annoyance getting the better of me. "The humans are still little monsters, and apparently there's nothing I can do to change that." As I leaned my head back against the top of the comfort-billow, I could feel the muscles in my face begin to tighten. "I'm going to fail this project. I don't know what to do – I've already started over once and I don't have time to start over again." I blinked rapidly, trying to dispel the moisture from the corner of my eyes.

"Einstein, is there any way I can save my project?" I looked directly at Einstein's red eye in the middle of the ceiling, praying that she had the answer. Although she was extremely intelligent, she wasn't all knowing.

"Visit Earth and control them. Enforce the rules you set upon them," she said, and I couldn't help but scrunch my nose.

"There's no way I can control all of them. Isn't there an incantation that I can use to fix this?" I muttered, reaching into a desk drawer to pull out the thick, black, leather-bound book. I ran my finger down the worn, cracked interior, my eyes quickly scanning through the table of contents. "Ugh there's nothing to help me control them," I muttered, my tone defeated. I had scanned the extensive list twice.

"Do I really have to go down to Earth?" I questioned, sticking the book back into its respective drawer.

"If you want to save your project, yes. You are highly revered by the humans, as you are seen as their creator. Religions across the globe worship you, and they will hang on your every word," Einstein said, and I mulled over her words for a minute.

"I suppose it can't hurt to visit," I began slowly. "I mean, it's not like I'll be wasting time. A day on Earth is like a fraction of a second in Herat." I let out a deep sigh. "What's the harm?"

"It is possible for you to be harmed in the Earth realm."

I shrugged. "Okay, but then I can just use a medicinal spray to heal any and all wounds and ailments. I'll be sure to bring a couple bottles with me." I stood up, tapping my chin lightly. "What else will I need?"

I walked over to my closet, pulling out my handbag. The brown leather bag was my absolute favorite to use when I went on trips – not only was the long strap comfortable for wearing across my body, but the bag had a lot more room than meets the eye. Plus it was very chic back in the day, and I was a huge fan of 22nd century accessories. I plucked my spare one-suit from the closet and stuck it into my bag.