3) T h e H i d d e n E n t r y

*CHAPTER THREE*

I blinked tears out of my eyes, cheeks swollen and red, my hair wildly framing my face with its curls. The two men looked at me, one had an obvious, milk curdling snarl. And the other man, with his blonde, shoulder length hair covering just half his eyes, which looked at me with a mix of pity and disgust. I had no escape now, they blocked it, they blocked my only hope. I was upstairs and two floors down was where my front door was situated. I was screwed, there was no point denying it. So I tried to force myself to be calm, allowing my body to slump against the wall I was leaning on, closing my eyes and taking a deep breath. But there was no use in trying to calm myself down, when my eyes opened they were blurred with tears, my breathing was heavy and hysteric and my brain was far away, as if it had already left, was already dead. But the endless pounding in my head still didn't manage to stop my ability to concentrate on what was right in front of me. The window.

The winding tree that stood firmly just on the outskirts had grown even more since the last time I climbed it. Its glorious branches curled around the sill of the window. Though the path beneath it is dark, cast into shadow by the tall mossy pines on either side, the sun must be brilliant beyond it. The tree glows brightly virescent just at the edges of the trunks, a golden halo of sorts that brings a soothing happiness I've been missing these past few days. A sort of hope that brings me to my feet.

I knew it was possible to escape using it, I'd done it before, well, almost. But I wouldn't let that sullen thought disrupt my splendid surge of hope. The two men barely blinked when I rose from my position on the floor. But Luper did squint to get a better look when exposed to my eyes.

"Aren't those unusually bright Basirin" He said turning to his blonde partner.

They both studies me for a curious moment.

They were so distracted by this idea that they did not react in time when I ran towards the window and I flung it open, bag in one hand and book in the other. A moment of panic rose the roof as they shouted at each other. I forced myself to not turn my head back though and kept pushing forwards. I was on my hands and knees climbing the trees trunk. When I heard a loud 'bang!' and a strangely shaped cylinder flew directly past my head and into the wood of one of the pines branches.

I screamed, barely managing to avoid the next one that swiftly landed in between my legs. I heard a loud voice over the situation of panic "Tranq her!" Basirin yelled. "Hurry!" It was a tranq, they weren't trying to kill me. Why? Did they want information? How pointless, I knew less than the blue bird nesting at the top of the tree. The next bullet skimmed my ear, drawing a singular drop of blood, but not causing any further problems than blood. They shot relentlessly all the same, yelling at eachover and sniping from the window. My arms were stretched out for the next branch when I lost balance and began tumbling to the ground. I barely managed to catch myself on a lower branch as I slipped, I felt a sharp pang in my side but ignored it and carried on. The branch that went over the fence was wobbly and the fall was deadly. The tranqs had stopped now and I heard the footsteps of the men bounding down the stairs so they could catch me on foot from the front door. Unlikely. Adrenaline pumped through as I reached the end of the branch and launched my feet over the fence. Freedom.

I hit the ground almost instantly and my body managed to adjust despite my fall and I forced myself to keep moving. My breathing was heavy and my eyes burning from the stinging wind. My backpack felt like it had a boulder in it and not a food parcel and clothes. The soles of my feet became weary in its shoes, but they didn't slow down. And I ran, like the winter breeze colliding into inanimate objects and crashing waves hitting the shore line. Like eagles soaring across indigo skies and a herd of cheetahs racing through verdant meadows. My long, coffee-coloured coloured locks whipped back and forth behind me like a fiery tale as I flung myself over sharp rocks and heavy tree trunks. I don't know where I am nor did I know where I was heading. I had no idea what time it was and he had no clue what day. All I knew was I had to keep running forward. Not stopping for anything. My house wasn't in sight anymore, nor were the men and I should have been relieved but I found myself in despair anyway. I forgot to say goodbye. Goodbye Natalie.