Chapter Seven - Pixelated Portal

Naomi began to feel exhausted. Video game characters could just keep going on and on, no matter what the health bar or anything else said. That was one of the things that made video games a kind of escape. It was frustrating to know that she was getting slower, but she had done a good job on keeping the still complaining Brandon safe from the various spears, bombs, and every swooping villain.

It had been a while since Naomi had played the original Legend of Zelda, but she was certain that Brandon was being led to the starting point for the game. It made good logical sense to go there. It was possible that the old man would be able to give them some information as to what exactly was going on here. They had just crossed a bridge and were entering a "safer" area. There were still plenty of enemies running about.

She had learned that Excalibur could block attacks from her enemies. It was a lucky find. A River Zora had tried blasting her away and she had swung Excalibur like a bat. The attack was simply nullified, but it was much better than what could have been. But now that they were getting closer to some Tektite, she became apprehensive. Their jumping about was difficult to gauge when and where they would land.

What caught her eye was the sign for a shop in the wall of pixel woods. She did have a small fortune in rupees that she had collected from the beginning. Brandon was dragged off, but she ducked into the green wall resembling a forest. Her eyes quickly adjusted to the dim light and naomi saw a long bar displaying different arrows and other items she could buy. Naomi went up to the bar and asked for a bomb.

When she was younger, Naomi had known a lanky kid with glasses who loved the Legend of Zelda games more than his own mother. Just about everything he thought, did, said, and dreamed revolved around the adventures of Link. He had even once, well more than once, pretended to drop bombs by walls and made explosion sounds. He would then sing the music of a discovery. It was a ridiculous image in her mind, But Naomi had always secretly wanted to do that, too. She could only buy one bomb, seeing as how she could only cram so many rupees into her pockets anyway.

Once she walked outside, she then remembered something she should never have forgotten: enemies re-spawned when you were off screen! The Tektites were jumping around like fleas and Naomi put her running physique to good use and sprinted away, swinging Excalibur as needed to ward them off. She even managed to cut one into little bits. Brandon was flying around in circles just over the ground.

"Naomi! I was so worried! Where did you go?"

"I needed to get something," she explained. "This will hopefully prove useful later."

"But where are we going? What are we going to do!?"

"I think whoever is playing you is going to take you to the starting point of the game. Relax, you'll probably get a sword there."

"Yeah, a sucky one," Brandon cried.

"And we might find out what exactly is going on with this game," Naomi finished with a huff. Having to sprint and fight to survive was not helping her patience with Brandon. "I don't suppose you are getting any more tired? With you getting dragged about and all?"

"Actually, I feel fine," Brandon said, suddenly brightening. "Thanks for asking."

Naomi could have stuck her sword in his paunch. She rolled her eyes and followed him as he was directed towards the game's starting point. The beginning clearing was nice and peaceful, but suddenly something came to Naomi's nose. She hadn't really smelled much other than herself and unfortunately Brandon when he got too close. But now there was a smell like rotting leaves on the air. Then a strong gust of wind hit her.

"Please, come inside, it's not safe!"

Naomi turned around and saw Princess Zelda! She would not have thought such a commanding, yet beautiful voice, belonged to her. Then again, voice acting in video games was not always what you'd expect. Naomi followed the beckoning princess and Brandon brought up the rear.

"Who are you two? I have never seen such people in Hyrule before." The princess gave them both searching looks.

This Zelda wasn't as pixelated as the surrounding world, but she wasn't any newer version of the princess or any other kind that Naomi had seen before. Admittedly, she hadn't played or watched all of the games. She also noticed how nervous the princess was.

"My name is Naomi, and this loser here is Brandon." Zelda looked confused at that introduction, but Naomi plowed ahead, "We aren't from here, but were brought to this place by some kind of magic. Maybe you could help us out?"

"There is a terrible magic running loose," Zelda said, shaking her head. "I recognize this land as Hyrule, my home, but it makes no sense. It looks and feels so different."

There was a fierce flash of lightning outside, followed almost immediately by deafening thunder. The inside of the room shook. Naomi looked around and did not see the old man. Things were really beginning to feel out of place.

"Naomi, right? Is that the Master Sword in your hand," Zelda asked.

"No. It's Excalibur," Naomi answered absentmindedly. :What is with this storm?"

"I'm not sure, but something like this storm brought me here from my home," the princess explained.

"I just want to go home," Brandon whimpered.

"Same here," Naomi snapped. "But every thing around here is not right. We need to make a path!"

She gave Zelda the bomb she was carrying and asked her to use magic and light it. Zelda reluctantly complied and once the bomb was lit, She went to the left wall from the entrance. She felt drawn there. The bomb quickly went off and the music of discovery jingled. A hole opened up and the storm streamed through the entrance and blew everyone through.

In a brief moment, Naomi saw the universe spread out around her. Lines connected stars all over and she saw ships of all kinds riding these lines, She saw heroes clad in white and monsters wrapped in darkness going to war. Stars were snuffed out and millions to billions of lives were lost. There was magic, wonder, diverse beauties, and more people and stories than she could imagine. But why was she seeing all of this. It really was a second long, but it was so much that was coursing through and being communicated in that moment, that she knew it was real.

Suddenly, Naomi found herself alone with Brandon near the converted ruins of Hyrule Castle. She gasped as she saw that her previous, momentary wish had been granted. But now, she knew it was not the kind of wish she should have made. They were in Breath of the Wild, and they were in the heart of danger.

"What!? No! What just happened," Kyle shouted at the computer screen.

His mother broke into fresh sobs, while his father and sister looked sheet white. The FBI agents looked lost and confused. The computer went blank and rebooted. Kyle had lost his brother and the poor girl Brandon had developed such a quick crush on. He let his face fall into his keyboard. The the television in the front room blared to life. The game was still on, it had just changed venues.