Chapter 1-I need to make a choice!

4 years later

I heard the beep of my alarm and slammed the snooze down grumpily.I slowly sat up in bed and stretched with a yawn."Oh why does school have to be today..."I muttered to myself.I swung my legs off the bed and slowly stood up.I padded quietly to the bathroom and turned on the shower.10 minutes later,I stepped out of the bathroom,fully clothed in my school uniform,teeth and hair brushed.I then marched down the hall of the flat I lived in alone and popped down two pieces of toast and filled a thermos full of orange juice in the kitchen.I quickly buttered the toast and wrapped them in a paper towel.I grabbed my school bag and slipped on my shoes and walked out the door,making sure it was securely locked.I walked out of the building minutes later to see a girl with light brown hair pulled into a thick braid and pale bangs standing there shyly,dressed in the same uniform as myself.I smiled.

"Ohayo,Oka!"I greeted cheerily.Oka jumped and turned around. When she saw it was me,she smiled warmly and walked to meet me.

"Ohayo,Kana.How was your night?" she asked and I responded that it was fine.Oka was my best friend from childhood and I told her everything.Except about the cat-like creature who was currently walking behind us.

I had learned over the years that Kyubey could only be seen by the people he wanted to see him and communicated through telepathy with me.He was right when he said that he would wait for my contract,but this was annoying.Everday,he followed me and Oka to school.Everday,he sat perched on my desk as the teacher spoke.And everyday,he would follow me to the hospital and ask for my contract.Everytime,I said no.

I handed Oka a piece of toast and we began to walk to school.She nibbled it quietly as I talked about the homework from the previous night.I stopped suddenly and turned to Oka."Okay,what's wrong?" Oka was always quiet and shy,but normally,she looked at me while I was speaking,but at the moment,she was staring intently ahead of her,nibbling the toast.She turned to me with a confused look,then looked away.I stepped forward and placed a hand gently on her shoulder."It's Kaoru again,isn't it?" Oka,her eyes still avoiding me,nodded slowly.Kaoru was Oka's little sister.From birth,Kaoru was very sick and,although she had had multiple surgeries to help her problems,she had gotten considerably worse lately.Oka and Kaoru were extremely close and Oka was always worried about her."What happened?"

Oka gulped."The doctor said that the infection is getting worse and they may have to operate,but with all her other health issues,it may not go well and..."she trailed off,tears forming in her eyes.I pulled her into a hug.

"It's okay,Oka.Calm down."I said in a calming voice.I felt two warm droplets of liquid land on my shoulder,one after the other.Then Oka pulled back and rubbed her eyes.

"I'm okay,Kana,you don't have to baby me."she muttered.she took a final big bit out of the toast and tossed the crust in a nearby garbage can.We then continued to school,talking casually until Oka was once again beaming.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~After School~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"C'mon,Kana,these weeds aren't gonna pull themselves out of the ground!"Oka yelled.I huffed and tugged at a scrawny green plant sticking out of the ground among the pretty flowers.It popped out and sent me flying to the ground with force.I got up and threw the weed into the bucket beside me.I rubbed my gloved hands together and blew a strand of my long red hair out of my eyes in frustration.Oka was making me work in her garden that she tended in the schoolyard.She had gotten the small piece of land with my help at the beginning of the year.It was signed with both our names,therefore,Oka saw it fit to make me work on it with her.Which I didn't hate,I'll admit,but it's jobs like weeding the flowerbeds that I don't like.I glanced at my watch and pulled off my gloves.

"Sorry,Oka,but it's late and I have to go!Don't stay out here too late,okay?"I shouted to the other end where Oka was pulling more weeds.She saluted and continued to rip them out.I smiled as I walked away.Oka loved to garden.All types of flowers and plants,anything that grows in the ground,really.She was a born gardener.She always gave a bouquet to Kaoru to make her feel better because thats the one thing they had bonded over.Gardening.

I ran home and changed into something less sweaty and threw my uniform and work clothes into the washer.I left the building and took a taxi to the hospital.I wave to the nurse that had been tending to my brother for the past four years and entered his hospital room."Hi,Hito-chan~!"I mused as if he could hear me.My brother had een in a coma for four years.Ever since that day...

I shook my head,detirmined not to cry like I always ended up doing when I visited."I made you something,Hitori."I said,reaching into the bag I had brought.I pulled a small clay vase out and placed it on the beside table along with all the other gifts I had given him in the past four years."You're gonna love it when you wake up,Hito-chan."I sat down and laid my head down in my arms on the bed."If you wake up.They told me yesterday that there was no hope and I should just pull the plug...but I can't Hitori!I love you and I know you're still alive!"I suddenly became aware of Kyubey sitting on the windowsill.

"You could always contract with me,Kana.Then Hitori could be alive again."he said.I shook my head as always.I stood and walked to the window.Kyubey jumped aside so I could look out.My eyes traced the skyline and the rays of glimmering sunset.I felt a gentle breeze floating through the open window into my face.It was peaceful.I glanced at the opposing rooftop and saw a girl with long dark hair approaching one of the pillars sticking out of the top.I frowned and gasped as the girl suddenly disappeared in a flash.

"W-what happened to her!?She disappeared!"I exclaimed.Kyubey looked up at me.

"No,silly Kana!That was a Magical Girl that I contracted!She just entered a Witch's Maze."he said calmly.

"W-well she needs help!Doesn't she have any friends?!"I asked,desparate to help the girl.

"I'm afraid that most Magical Girls don't associate with each other much." was his answer."Of course,you could always contract with me so you could become a Magical Girl yourself and help her defeat the Witch."

I thought for a moment.If I contracted now,I could save Hitori and help that girl.But if I didn't,the girl could die and I'd have no choice but to pull the plug on Hito-chan.But I promised I wouldn't sell my soul to him!I squeezed my eyes shut.I-I need to make a choice!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope you enjoyed chapter 1!^^What will Kana's choice be?Find out in the next chapter!Dun-dun-duuuuuuuun!