Chapter 7

|Jade|

Tori's mother talks to me all through dinner. What am I going to do when I graduate? What's my favorite subject? What kind of music do I listen to? And the more she talks, all friendly and open, like she actually gives a shit, the easier it becomes to answer her. Even Trina is pretty decent throughout the meal. Tori smiles at me from across the table, her fork buried in her spaghetti, and I give her a mirroring expression before returning my attention to her mom. She's a kind lady, genuine and sweet, just like her daughter.

Internally, I smirk to myself. Who would have thought that I would think such nice things about Tori Vega?

After dinner, I thank both of Tori's parents graciously for letting me stay and feeding me before following Tori up the stairs to her bedroom. She's giggling as she shoulders into the room and I nail her side with my elbow as I shut the door behind me. "What's so funny?"

"Nothing." Tori answers too quickly, falling on her bed. She pulls her backpack between her legs and unzips it, yanking out a few books. "You're just cute. That's all."

I stick my tongue out at her. Sitting beside her, I kick the backpack out of her way. When she turns to retort at me, I lift a hand. "No homework. It's only Saturday night. You can do that tomorrow when I go home."

A flicker of something akin to realization takes over Tori's face. She lowers one book, meeting my eyes like she's surprised at something I just said. My eyebrows quirk at her, a silent question, and she finally gives a nervous laugh and shakes her head. "I forgot. You have to leave tomorrow."

I look down at my knees. "Yeah. School Monday. The real world."

Her hand lands on my thigh. It's hot, her thumb swiping back and forth across the denim of her jeans that I'm wearing. "I don't want you to."

When I look up at her, she's blushing, her words tumbling out of her at an unbelievable speed. "I mean this weekend has just been so nice and I've finally had time to see the real you, you know, and I just, it sucks that it was under these circumstances and that it has to end because I've been having so much fun with you and I'm sorry this probably sounds really creepy I just, you know, I'm glad we're friends -"

"Jesus, Vega." I lift a hand, my fingertip booping the tip of her nose. "Take a breath before you hurt yourself."

She obeys, taking a deep breath and moving her hand back to her own lap. I stare at it for a moment before finding her gaze again.

"I don't want to go home, either," I tell her, my voice soft, almost whispering. "This has been like ... a safe place for me."

"It always will be." Tori's hand snaps to mine. She grips it tightly. "I mean, you can come over whenever you want. We're friends now. You can talk to me about anything."

"I know. Thanks."

"Oh, Jade -"

"Do not cry, I swear to god."

"I'm not crying."

"Yeah. Sure."

Tori puts her iPod on her dock and puts the songs on shuffle. For a while we just talk and mundane things - school, homework, and I'm aware of how easy this is, being friends with her. Before this, back when she first arrived at Hollywood Arts, I was so ... I don't know. Not jealous, not exactly, just ... intimidated. She's talented. I'm not stupid. She sings like a rockstar and isn't too bad at acting, either. And, frankly, she's gorgeous. I watch her as she paints her toenails. Whereas I've got a complexion complimentary of Casper, she's got this glossy bronze skin like beach sand and a smile that almost literally glows. She smells like summer. I didn't look at anyone as competition before she showed up, but Tori's a challenge, an obstacle.