Chapter 3

(STEPHEN GOMEZ)

            I’ve known Jess Bowen ever since we were little kids. Our parents were best friends, and somehow, they expected their children to have the same relationship. In fact, our mothers actually wanted Jess and I to be more than that when we grew up.

            To be honest, I used to think Jess and I did have something. Then again, I was a kid. What did I even know about love back then?

            After that one incident when we were young, after what she did, everything changed. It changed the way I thought about her, it changed the way we thought about each other. Until now, I still hated her. And until then, she’ll still be the clumsy, manipulative bitch I believe her to be.

            John and I didn’t even know that she’d be living with us. That night, when she came, I was just fiddling with my guitar, listening to a good Ryan Adams song, just like every other night. Then suddenly, when mom called us for dinner, there she was. Mom acted like it was the most normal thing; she was just ‘oh, hey, do you remember Jess? Well, either way, she’ll be living with us,’ and just like that, my summer changed.

And here we are, waiting for Jess to finish a stupid phone call in the girl’s bathroom.

I couldn’t stand this anymore. Mom practically threatened to take away my driver’s license if I didn’t accompany her and John to go ‘shopping’. Basically, I didn’t want to be here, and, technically, we were done shopping. All of Jess’ bags were in the car. This was merely a bonus. I shook my head, wiped the sides of my mouth with a table napkin, and stood up. John skeptically looked at me.

“What are doing, and where are you going, Steve?” He asked wearily. This was John. He would merely ask, but he never questioned my decisions, nor did he ever judge me. And I loved him for it-in a brotherly way.

I was too pissed at Jess to even answer his questions. I just walked away, out of Taco Bell, out of the mall, and into the parking lot. I couldn’t stand being Jess’ little puppet, with her telling me what to do. I’m a guy, for crying out loud! It probably dawned to John that Jess would eventually find herself alone, and get lost, since he ran back into the mall.

I smirked- John had always been the good guy, always thinking of others before himself. Why don’t you think about yourself for once, John? People take advantage of you!, I used to tell him, and all he’d do was give me a little shrug. I got into the car, turned it on and cranked up the volume to a good song. John would have thought I was going home, but I’m not stupid. Why would I go home and face the wrath of my mother, who’d nag me to death when she arrives, not seeing John and Jess with me? So I just sat there in the car and waited. I liked being alone, it makes me feel comfortable.

I spent about 15 minutes listening to four songs when my phone rang wildly.

“Let me guess, you guys decided to hang out and went to Starbucks?” I said, as John remained quiet for a few seconds on the other line.

“Steve,” He just said.

“Well, if your calling to ask me where I am, I’m still in the parking lot, waiting for you guys, or if you wanted to get me something, I’ll have Grande Chocó-peppermint frappe.”

“Stephen James!” he exclaimed.

“Just spit it out, John!”

“Jess is missing!”

I rolled my eyes. “Don’t you think you’re a little too old for prank calls, John?”

“Stephen I’m fucking serious here! She’s not in Taco Bell anymore, and I’ve searched almost half of the mall, which, by the way, is fucking huge!” He exclaimed. I sighed, sensing the panic in his voice.