Chapter IV

I got off Diaval and led him further away from the chasm. He was tired, I could hear it in his gasping breaths. I turned to him and stroked his muzzle. He reared and kicked his hooves.

"Into a man," I said as I flicked my wrist.

In a puff of black smoke, Diaval turned into a man with slicked back black hair, scars on both his temples, one on both sides of his neck, one across both collarbones and one down to the middle of his chest. He wore black clothes split down to the middle of his chest.

"Mistress, where are the other two?" he panted.

"They will come," I replied.

"Are you sure?" my servant wheezed.

"Yes," I insisted.

His breath rattled from his lungs. I felt my heart being squeezed against my chest. I placed my hand on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry to push you so hard," I murmured, "stay behind and rest."

"No, what if th-"

"Into a horse," I interrupted with a flick of my wrist.

His protest was finished with a neigh. I knew he was annoyed but I cared too much about him to watch him struggle any longer.

"I'm sorry," I mumbled, "it is for the best."

He snorted, raking his hoof into the earth. Tears welled up in my eyes, I could tell he noticed. I turned and walked away; I didn't want to be cold to him, I only didn't want him to be hurt. I turned back to him, he was lying like he was dead. I heard men yelling off in the distance, the archers had to have noticed us now. I fought the urge to flee but knew I couldn't leave him. I ran back over to him.

I saw myself in his large, exhausted, eye. I knelt down and placed my hand on his feathery shoulder. I raised my hand.

"Into a man," I whispered.

He transformed in a puff of black smoke. The distant shouts of men grew louder. I cradled his head in my arms.

When he spoke, his voice ripped a hole in me, "Mistress, they have spotted us,"

"I know," I whispered, tears threatening to spill onto him.

"Leave me here, save yourself," he rasped.

"No! For years you stayed with me, I'm not letting this be your last," I protested.

He stared into my watery eyes.

"I'm still here," he said with a charming, yet very small, smile.

His smile faded as his eyes closed. I raised my hand.

"Into a raven," I said, trying hard to not let any sobs escape my throat.

He transformed in a puff of smoke. I cupped him in my hands and stood up. I took his wings and kept them in my hands. I journeyed back toward the chasm. It was wider than I remembered. The strangest thing was, I didn't see Okataa or Amber anywhere.

"Where are they, I hope they didn't get lost."

I held Diaval close to my chest as gold wisped around my hand. The ground rumbled as huge thorns grew up out of the ground. They laid across the chasm as I held my servant with both hands.

I crossed the thorns and waved my hand, causing them to shrink from sight. I followed the path back into the forest and soon found the stream. I set my servant down and raised my hand.

"Into a man," I whispered with a flick of my wrist. 

His bird features faded. I glanced into his closed eyes and felt so much pity. 

"Please forgive me, I'm so sorry, Diaval."  I thought.