Chapter 6

Lauren's POV

I'm having Camila over for the first time. The outside of the house still needs a lot of work but I'll deal with that after I fix up the inside. It was obvious when I bought it that some pretty heavy duty smokers used to live in the place. The walls were yellow with years of smoke buildup on them. The carpet should have been replaced twenty years ago easy and the linoleum in the kitchen was poorly installed since I could see the previous design underneath the 'new' stuff where it was peeling up. This was also a bug problem at first, but it's a cute little starter house.

Someone looking to own their first place will fall in love with this house when I'm done with it. I can't wait for Camila to see the before pictures I took. So far I've gotten rid of the nasty old carpets that were threadbare and stained with God knows what, and replaced them with dark hardwood flooring I installed myself in a matter of hours. That new stuff that just snaps together takes like no time to install. I've removed all the hideous wallpaper and trim from the walls. I know it's trendy right now to do accent walls with wallpaper but I hate wallpaper.

With a passion.

I've been painting the kitchen today so I have old jeans and an old shirt on when Camila's SUV pulls up to the house. This's a tree out front that provides pretty good shade and helps to keep the house a little cooler in the height of Summer. Right now temperatures are starting to drop a little so I have the windows open wide and the ceiling fans on to help the paint dry. I set down the roller I've been working with and go to the front door to greet her. She's dressed in her teacher's clothes but she looks cute.

"Hi," I smile and open the screen door for her.

"Hi," she smiles back. When she steps into the house she pauses to give me a sweet kiss hello.

"How was work?" Thankfully, the way paint is now this aren't really the offensive fumes this used to be. Painting used to be a fuckin' nightmare.

"Good. The kids were all surprisingly well behaved today," she chuckles. "How's painting going?"

"Good. Wanna come check it out?" I offer.

"Of course I do," she replies. "I can even help you if you like. I have some spare clothes in the car."

"Nah, I'm almost done. I just have one more wall to do and then you can help me get the paint off my neck," I wink and lead her through the small house to the kitchen.

"Happily," she giggles behind me.

"The place doesn't get a lot of natural light, unfortunately, but I think this is a good color." I chose a shade of green. I think it brightens up the place and it looks good against the dark cabinets I'm planning on installing. I point to a box on the counter and say, "Those glass tiles this are going to be the backsplash if you want to check them out." They're kind of shermery so hopefully they'll make the room look a little bigger.

Camila walks over to peek in the box. "The room is going to look gorgeous when you're done," she compliments. She looks at the walls and adds, "The green matches your eyes."

I snort. "I never noticed that."

"I've spent many hours looking into your eyes," she winks.

"Yes you have," I agree.

"They're beautiful, so is this color," she says, reaching over to rub my lower back.

"Thanks. You should see the master bathroom now that it's all finished," I smile. I think I did a pretty awesome job on it myself.

"Lead me to it."

"The walls were yellow and sticky from smoke in this."

Camila follows me through the house toward the master bedroom. "Do you have any before pictures?" she asks from behind me.