Chapter 8 - Disconnected

She arrived in Seoul, she thought of waiting for Seng-hyun at the airport - but the service she hired was already there waiting for her. She arrived at the hotel that her parents reserved for her - she did not book a guesthouse this time, as her parents wanted her to enjoy the cosmopolitan life that is Seoul. 

The view at the hotel was so unlike the ones at Jeju Island, where you can see miles and miles of green grass, trees, and the sea. Here all she could see is miles and miles of tall buildings, with a few grass and trees - it was like nature and the buildings co-existed. She opted to go to Myeongdong which was just literally downstairs from where her hotel is. 

The street was filled with food stalls, she can smell the waft of food from the lined up stalls on the street - she was hungry. The multitude of people walking by and buying food made her feel that she wasn't alone; it was good surrounded by people like this. She bought some food, sat at a nearby seat and ate - observing them walk by. "Nasa Seoul na talaga ako." she said cheerily, trying to convince herself that it was not just a dream - she was really there in the flesh. 

She went back to the hotel after she bought food, on her way there she stopped by 7-11 and bought some more food - for a second there she remembered him, she smiled. When she got inside her room, she excitedly checked her email- expecting that maybe Seung-hyun messaged her. Her inbox was empty - she tried to refresh it, but it was still empty. She was tired, and decided to sleep - she slept that night thinking of him. 

Morning came with hopes, she was hopeful that somehow he must have emailed her by now - he did say he will contact her and they will meet. She had 2 more days in Seoul before she flies to New York. "It's okay Kate, he must have been busy. Busy lang siya, huwag ka magdamdam, wala naman kayong commitment - hindi naman kayo diba?" she was talking to herself loudly pacing back and forth near the foot of the bed. "Puppy love lang to - eventually mawawala din to, diba?" she convincingly told herself. "Nasa Seoul ka na, dapat ienjoy mo na ito!!! AJA!" she exclaimed. Then happily went on her day not thinking of the trainee and soon to be famous Seung-hyun. 

She explored Seoul, it was unlike what she imagined - people were dressed up nicely and even if they tried not to dress up it doesn't matter what clothes they wear it simply suits them. She had problems with conversing with the people around, she really did not have that problem when she was in Jeju. She realized that Jeju was more of a tourist spot, and Seoul was the capital city of South Korea - where the business district is also centered. She had planned to visit Nami Island and Petite France the next day, and planned to go on shopping as well as to visit Namsan Tower the day after that. 

She went to the different palaces that day, the ones she only saw in the televisions. She was lucky that day, because the entrance fees to the Gyeongbokgung Palace - it was the first Palace built by the Joseon Dynasty, three years after it was founded. It was located north of Gwanghamun square.  

"Gyeongbokgung in english means 'Palace greatly blessed by Heaven', it is built in the heart of Seoul surrounded by two mountains namely Bugaksan and Mount Namsan." the guide said. "During the Japanese invasion, year 1592-1598, the palace was destroyed by fire and was left in ashes - it was left in ruins for the next 270 years."

"Really? So this was not the actual palace?" Kate wondered.

"It was actually rebuilt in 1868 and was restored as an icon of Korea with the help of Prince Regent Heungseon Daewongun" the guide added. "In a few minutes we will be seeing the Royal Guards Changing Ceremony - the reenactment of the original ceremony began in the year 1996, and has been followed up to present."

The ceremony will start at 10:00 am, and it was already 9:55 am. Kate patiently waited and found a good place to stand at and witness the whole ceremony. After the ceremony their tour continued, the went around the whole palace and say the different pavilions and quarters. The tour was a tiring one, and nearby there is a famous samgyetang restaurant called tosokchon. One had to pass through alleys to reach the restaurant that had an exterior design of a hanok - their samgyetang was like the aroz caldo version of the Philippines - but the soup was lighter and had medicinal properties due to the ginseng. It was stuffed with sticky rice, garlic, ginseng, dried jujube and some ginko nuts. It was a filling meal, and Kate was stuffed. 

She headed next to Bukchon hanok village - it was a place where you can see the traditional korean houses. The road at Bukchon was at angle and you had to climb up to see the beauty of the hanok village from that point. Kate took a lot of pictures of the places she visited that day, though there were still places she hasn't visited, it was okay, she had a feeling she will be back. 

Tired, full, and fulfilled - that was what she felt when she went back to her hotel. Before she knew it, she was already asleep and then it was morning again. 

That day she was headed for nami island, after a 5 minute ferry ride - the island greeted her with beautiful tree lined roads, and Metasequoia footpath. It was where the famous K-drama titled Winter Sonata - most of the scenes from the drama was actually shot there - and there stood the statue of the lead characters of the drama. 

Kate rented a bike to go around the island - everything was blooming, it was still spring after all even if it was about to end. The fresh air can be smelled while she was biking around. The tall trees gave off this kind of warmth as it formed shadows the the people walking and biking below. She felt peaceful, she stopped near the surrounding water and just stayed there for a couple of minutes to enjoy the calmness of the river. 

She spent the whole morning up to 2pm there in the island - then afterwards not so far from Namsan she went to Petite France. It was French style theme park in Gyeonggi Province- it's whole concept was to create an environment with flowers, stars and the Little Prince; the place was filled with paintings and murals that was reminiscent of the book. 

Before heading home, she first passed by Myeongdong and ate at a restaurant called Gogung. She was excited of the shopping she will be having the next day, and visiting the Namsan Tower. When she arrived at her hotel room she sat down to relax her tired feet - then she decided to check her e-mail, not expecting that she will be receiving an email from him; she just wanted to check if Julliard has replied to her email and if her parents have replied to her email too. 

There in the notification were 3 unread emails. She figured where the two was from, but wondered where the other 1 email comes from. She opene the notification and there it was, an unfamiliar email address. Her heart started to beat faster - she opened it and read. 

Hi Kate,

I'm sorry took me a while to email you. When I went back here at the agency I was reprimanded badly - they took my phone as well as computer privileges, that's why I wasn't able to email you. I hope I could see you before you leave for New York. I want to see you, I missed you and thought a lot about you these past days. 

Can we meet at Namsan Tower tomorrow? at 5pm? at the Pavilion near the tower itself? Please let me know your reply. 

Seung Hyun

Kate instantly pressed the reply button and typed.

Oppa,

I missed you - I never thought I will still be receiving an email from you. I hope they did not get too mad at you. I'll gladly see you tomorrow at 5pm by the Pavilion at Namsan Tower. I can't wait to see you. You take care always. 

Kate

Then she pressed the send button. 

It was a nice day indeed - even nicer because she'll get to see Seung Hyun the next day.