Chapter Twenty-Seven

A/N Hi everyone! Sorry that this is a couple days late :d I'm in the middle of exams (again! when does it ever end?)...I'll do my best to be as punctual as possible though. Not that there's much of Apollo left to go – it draws to a close on Chapter Thirty!

ALEXANDER PRESSED A KISS TO HER FOREHEAD BEFORE HE LEFT HER study. "I'm glad you're feeling better," he said, squeezing her hand, and then he slipped out the door. He passed his brother-in-law and his fiancée on the way out, and offered them a nod, that said both good morning and good luck.

    Emmett knocked, and Penelope Smith opened the door with a slight smile. "Good morning, Your Lordship. Good morning, Lady Victoria," she greeted. "Her Highness has been expecting you."

    "Thank you, Lady Penelope," Emmett answered; and a lady she was, for as they entered the room she curtsied with not half the clumsiness she used to have about her, her easy manner in fact slightly reminiscent of Emmeline in her own younger days.

    "Well, good morning to both of you," the princess was seated at her desk when she entered, not smiling, but her eyes betrayed no anger. She seemed to be in pleasant enough spirits, and this lifted her brother's hopes enough.

    "I must say, Lady Victoria, I am surprised," she continued. "I did not think you loved my brother enough to come all the way here at such short notice."

    "Your Highness, I—"

    "Or perhaps you only travelled for the baby? So that it might have a father and you would not be so disgraced, since you have been shunned by Prince Javier?"

    "Princess, please, I love Earl Portsmouth. I love Emmett," Victoria said. Emmeline saw a certain genuineness in her brown eyes, but still this girl had to be put to the test.

    So she replied, "Words mean nothing."

    "But—"

    "That is why I called you here to prove it to me," she told her. "You should be aware, however, of this one condition: if you, in any way, demonstrate that you are lying to me, I will ruin you. You should know that I would do anything for my brother's sake." She paused momentarily, allowing her words to sink in. "Do you still wish to marry him? Say you do not and you shall be allowed to return home. And—I will be able to broker you a marriage with Prince Javier."

    "H-How?" she asked. "He has been very clear..."

    Emmett felt his heart rise to his throat at the sight of her wavering, but said nothing. This was a test, he knew it, and she had to pass it on her own merit.

    "Alexander spoke with him," the princess replied coolly. "He is not steadfast in his position. He can and will be easily swayed...should you only give the word."

    Victoria paused, and Emmett could feel his heart ricocheting in his chest.

    Then, she said, "No."

    "No?" Emmeline repeated, sounding somewhat pleasantly surprised but not betraying much else as her expression remained neutral.

    "My heart belongs to Earl Portsmouth now. Even if Javier should still be interested in having a relationship with me...I am not interested in having one with him." She sighed. "I was considering it for my baby...I would have wanted him to know his father. But Emmett is his father now, and that is all that needs to be known to him."

    "Understood, thank you." Emmeline nodded before looking down at a sheet of paper in front of her, and her brother could have sworn that he had caught a glimpse of some approval in her green eyes.