Chapter Thirty - PART TWO

A/N H-A-P-P-Y F-R-I-D-A-Y! This is part two of what ought to be three of Chapter Thirty...or maybe there'll be four parts, depending on how the story runs its course (or rather how much I can't let it go...haha). It's definitely coming to an end, though, and I hope you enjoy these last few updates :) x Leanne

"PRINCESS DIANNA," A MAID CALLED FROM OUTSIDE QUEEN EMMELINE'S study, where the mother of three sat explaining the intricacies of balancing business and pleasure to her children, "you have a visitor to see you, please, Your Highness."

    "Come in, please," Emmeline replied, and the maid entered the room.

    "Another gentleman caller, no doubt?" the youngest of the three St James siblings, Lucas, clarified with a teasing glint in his eye. He had fair hair and his mother's green eyes, bearing a striking resemblance to his maternal grandmother Anne. His features were softer than his cousin David's and his older brother William's, but albeit his lack of fierce masculinity in his outward appearance there was a certain liveliness and charm about him his brother lacked, that made young ladies swoon just at the sight of him. Some girls devoted unhealthy amounts of time to discussing which of the princes was better looking, and though all of their parents preferred the crown prince simply because of his status, there were a large number of young ladies across the land who favoured Lucas.

    "Pray do not tease Anna so," William chided, his voice far more solemn than his younger brother's, as it always was. His prominent cheekbones, sharp jaw, jet black hair and cool blue eyes lent him an air of regality fit for a future king. "You know she detests it, and Mother hates the pair of you rowing."

    "I can stand up for myself, Will," the blonde-haired middle child and sole princess Dianna interjected. Then, glaring at her younger brother with her piercing blue eyes, the pair she shared with her older brother and her father, "I actually think it a compliment I have suitors to call on me, Lucas!"

    "As if there isn't a long line of ladies begging me to marry them," was the response. "Besides, I don't play with their hearts, unlike a certain someone."

    "I do not toy with them," she huffed, indignant.

    "You absolutely do," Lucas disagreed, grinning. "You let the last one buy you five bouquets of red roses before telling him you'd only ever been interested in being friends, and the one before that, well, we all know he ran out sobbing."

    "He was not sobbing!" she shouted. "You are such a—"

    "No shouting, Dianna, please," Emmeline cut in sharply. "And Lucas, I wish you wouldn't rile your sister up like that. Like your brother said, you knew it would lead to an argument."

    "I'm going to see to my guest," the princess said, standing from her chair with another huff. "I will see you at dinner, Mother, and you as well, William."

    With nothing to offer to her younger brother as a means of goodbye but a glare sharp enough to slit his throat, she turned to leave the room.

    "Dianna, my dear?" her mother called after her just as she was about to step out the door.

    "Yes, Mother?" she turned her head so that her mother could speak to her.

    "Be upfront with this young man. Don't break another heart."

    "Yes, Mother," she grumbled, and then she left the room, but not before shooting another glare at her younger brother, who was smugly reclined in his chair and smirking triumphantly at her.

***

As usual, do vote, comment, and share!!! Your support means everything to me <3