Chapter Twenty-Eight; safe.

I was pacing around my house. I called Anne, updating her on what happened and she came to pick up the girls until I heard something. I was losing my mind. It's been an hour. It shouldn't take this long unless something happened and they didn't find him. My heart was racing. I thought about how relieved Harry must feel, seeing officers come in and tell him everything is going to be okay.

I couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't handle not knowing. So I grabbed my keys and got in my car, driving as fast as I could to Jackson Tree cemetery. When I got there, I didn't see any cop cars. I got angry at the thought that they didn't even come yet. But I took the anger I felt and ran down the stairs to get to what looked like a parking garage. I furrowed my eyebrows, confused for a moment as to why he would be down here.

Then my heart sunk. Maybe she did lie. Maybe she just threw a name out there and thought she could trick me. I looked around, feeling overwhelmed while I was crying, hoping to see a sign that she wasn't lying. I was holding both sides of my head, trying to ease that pounding that came from my crying.

I ran up and down the cars that were there, looking for a room that he might be in. I looked in closets and bathrooms, and didn't find him. Near the back, where I was standing, I saw another door. I walked towards it and opened it, hoping he would be there. I closed my eyes at the empty sight. He wasn't here.

But right before I shut this door, I noticed another one in the corner. I walked through the room to the other door, praying before I opened it.

I turned the handle and pushed the door open, seeing a living room in front of me. I gasped, relieved to see what looked like a house in front of me. I walked through the living room, through a kitchen, opening bathroom doors, hoping to see my husband. I opened a bedroom door and widened my eyes at all four corners.

I walked inside, picking up a jacket that I remember Halley wearing when she was younger. On the bed, were sheets that looked exactly like Halley's at home. On the walls were pictures of Halley and her dad that she used to have at home. In one picture, Halley was sitting next to me, in her high chair. Instead of my face, Kate's was glued over it.

I walked out of the room, wondering if she did the same thing for Avery and Becca. I was afraid to open the door. I wasn't surprised that she stole most of Halley's things, but I was surprised because she truly was obsessed. She wanted my life. She wanted to live with my husband and pretend-

What if she was going to steal my girls, too?!

I shook my head, too scared to think about that. I opened the door and saw Avery's stuff mixed with Becca's. This room wasn't as organized as Halley's. My assumption is that she just took this stuff and didn't have a chance to put it in its proper places. I looked around the room, seeing if there's a bag or something I could put their stuff in. In the closet, I found a box that could be used.

I started putting Avery's and Becca's stuff in the box, then walked across the hallway to get Halley's stuff. The box was full by the time I was finished. I checked the bathroom, to make sure none of their cosmetics were stolen too. Then I walked into the last room.

I opened the door and looked around, feeling disappointed that Harry wasn't in here. His things were, which made me miss him even more. Seeing his things, made me realize that he was here. He was here the whole time and Kate wasn't lying.

So I put his things in the box as well. I picked the box up and walked out of the room, through the hallway, through the kitchen, and through the living room until I got to the door. I opened it without hesitation and walked all the way to my car, holding the box.

I hate to say it, but I feel good. I don't feel good that I still don't know where my husband is, but I feel good knowing that he is away from her. On my way home, I decided I'd go to Anne's house.

When I got there, I hugged my kids and told them how much I love them. Rob and Anne didn't understand why I was so happy, since all they knew is that he was still missing, even though they knew where he was. I told the girls to get ready because I was taking them home. When they ran away, I told Anne about my visit to Kate's house.

It wasn't really a house, it was more like a basement house, and it wasn't listed in her areas of residence, so I didn't know how to describe it. But I told Anne that she had shrines for the girls, assuming she was preparing for them to be with her too. Anne was pissed off. She wasn't actively pissed but I could see it in her face that she was mad at this woman for threatening her family like this.

"So why are you happy?" Rob asked.

"He's no longer with her. She can't hurt him anymore. I got my kids' stuff back." I say quietly, feeling relieved all over again. "I'm not happy that he's still gone, but I'm happy that she is." After I said that, the girls told me they were ready to go. "I'm going to take them to get ice cream." I say to my parents-in-law. Anne was smiling at me as I walked out of her house with the girls.

"What's going on, mom?" Halley asked me before we got in the car. Avery and Becca had gotten in the backseat while Halley and I were standing by the passenger door.

"Everything's going to be okay, my love." I wrap my arm around her waist and hug her from the side. She holds onto me with both of her arms, her head resting on my chest. "It's going to be okay." I say again and kiss the top of her head.

I walk around to get in the drivers side while Halley is buckling herself in. I don't bother looking around to see if anyone's watching, because I feel safe again. I don't feel like I'm being watched or followed.

"Let's get ice cream." I say to my kids as I start the car.

My chest had loosened. My face relaxed. I physically felt relieved. In my heart, I felt light again. For once, since all of this had started, I felt like I was flying. And that little girl that just caught the ball, is dancing around. I finally believed everything was going to be okay again. Halley was smiling, listening to Becca and Avery's conversation. I reached over the console and grabbed her hand.

"I know what I said earlier, but I am so happy you're home." I smiled at her.

"I am too, mom." She said and leaned over to kiss my cheek.

Things are going to be okay.