Chapter 2: Old Friends and Foes

I sat in the coffee shop sipping my tea gingerly. The door swung open to reveal a blonde haired beauty walk in. It's Louisa Eberly Quinn. I stand up.

"Hey loser." She greets me with a hug.

"Oh Quinn, you never could pull off the winner look." I grin smugly.

"Hey we were kick ass captains back in our day." She laughs as she sits down.

"We were

"We were. Best girls soccer team in the state." I grin.

"Man I missed you." She says tossing he hair back over her shoulders.

"Me too. You were the only senior that could take a freshman as a captain seriously." I chuckle.

"Hey you deserved the role, mad respect." She giggles.

"So what've you been up to lately?" I ask taking another sip of my tea.

"Oh....nothing my life has been uneventful." She shrugs unconvincingly.

"Come on has Trevor put a ring on it yet?" I ask.

"Trevor passed away." She says looking at her feet.

"Oh God in sorry." I say grabbing her hands.

"It's okay. It was back in the fall." She shrugs.

"Damn. What happened?" I ask.

"Uh he was attacked...by a bear." She shrugs.

"A bear?" I ask. Something tells me she's lying...I can't put my finger on it.

"Yeah a bear. There's been like four deaths by bears around here....uh I think it killed our old sheriff too." Louisa leans back in her chair.

"A bear is doing all this? Damn." I shake my head.

"At least that's what we think." She mumbles almost inaudibly.

"Oh is Grandmere spreading those damn legends again." I whisper.

"Cece....you have no idea." Louisa shakes her head.

"Don't tell me you believe her." I say dropping her hands.

"I can't say one way or the other...Have you spoken to Cara yet?" Louisa asks.

"No! Why is everyone asking me that? Wait....how do you know Cara?" I say.

"I gotta run, I have an appointment with Madam Tawny, I'm sorry. You really should consider giving Cara a call." Louisa gets up and gathers her items hastily before handing me a slip of paper and walking out. I sit there dumbfounded. I flip over the piece of paper to see a phone number. This is getting creepy. The little bell on the door rings and a girl with tan skin and dark hair walks in.