Chapter 3: Too late

I step into the church and sit in a pew. In front of me sits a woman with dark hair and fair skin. I start saying my daily prayers quietly when the woman turns around and stares at me blankly.

"Cece? Cece Rose?" The woman blinks

"Yes? Who are you?" I ask in a whisper.

"I'm Scarlet, Scarlet Kepler." She grins.

"Oh yes I remember you. Cara's biological mother." I tilt my head.

"Yeah. Your Erik's sister. I recognize you from the pictures around the house." She nods.

"Do you visit frequently?" I ask.

"Oh I live with Erik and Jake now." She explains.

"Oh...are you in touch with Cara?" I ask.

"Yes, I am." She replies.

"I tried calling her yesterday and I couldn't reach her." I shrug

"Her classes keep her pretty busy." Scarlet quickly adds.

"Ah. Well I best be going, have a nice day." I smile before excusing myself from the church. I head out to my car. I just reach the driver's side when a gust of wind swoops the letter I was going to mail to Erik out of my purse. I watch as it tumbles towards the edge of the woods. I chase after it. The wind thrusts the letter up against a tree. I finally snatch it. I let out a sigh of relief and stare off into the woods. How many secrets does the woods conceal?

After driving home I walk to Louisa's home and knock on the door. She opens the door.

"Hey, I just got off of work." Louisa says. I take note of her maid uniform.

"Oh sorry. I was just at church. I met Scarlet Kepler." I say.

"You should come in." Louisa opens the door wider to her home. I walk in and look around the place. It looks like an older lady lives her with the floral wallpaper and ceramic trinkets on the book shelves. I hear an old grandfather clock upstairs. I know that this used to be Louisa's mother's home. She and her boyfriend moved in to care for her mother, she was sick. When her mother died, she left the house in her will.

"Louisa...what's going on?" I ask as I sit on a floral couch. It completely clashes with the wallpaper.

"Did you call Cara?" Louisa asks.

"I tried...it went to voicemail. What is so important?" I ask.

"If you haven't talked to Cara then I can't help you." Louisa shrugs.

"And why not?" I roll my eyes.

"Look....your Grandmother...She was eight. This town is cursed. Cara and I saw it first hand. There's freaking werewolves and fairytale creatures running around. I saw it with my own eyes....Sheriff Chris was one and mauled Trevor to death." Louisa explains.