Circe

This is an incidental and very short&sweet story I wrote for one of my creative writing's assignments.

"Stand up! Turn around! Turn around!"

Hearing that every day was the deformed Circus Freak, John Merrick's routine. He was only known as 'The Elephant Man' because there seemed to protrude a trunk from his mouth, he had a grotesque large head and nearly no part of his body had been left spared.

Except, ironically, for one of his arms and his genitals.

How badly he wanted to form a family, have a fireplace and a warm, cozy home with a big library...

He was always awakened from his reveries by Mr. Bytes, his 'owner', that treated him worse than a stray dog.

On a day-off, John was trying to keep warm on a burner flame, when someone knocked on the door.

"We're closed!" barked Bytes, drunk already, nearly dropping the bottle.

"Not even for a peek? For a lady that has no modesty?"

Something in that voice awoke Bytes in an instant. He jumped out of the chair and opened the wagon.

"Circe! But what are you doing here? Did you get tired of your ballerina job?"

"Singer, Bytes. And of course it wouldn't work, with my appearance I became a vagrant again. Or I'd have to whore. But I won't give up. Not even if I have to deal with the likes of you."

Bytes snorted.

"I'm always open to any possibilities, babe."

She smirked and got in, wriggling her nose. Inside the smell was pungent. "Damn it Bytes! How long haven't you bathed?" she said, jokingly.

Bytes stared at the corner where John was with contempt.

"It's not me. It's him."

Circe gulped. She knew who the source of the smell was. The person who smelled like that was huddled in the corner, trying to make his small frame even smaller.

"Please..." begged John.

"Oh!" she exclaimed. "You are truly frightful! But am I also not a vision?"

And so she was. Long white hair, pink pupils, glowing white skin, long white eyelashes and he could hardly see her eyebrows ... She was quite... strange. Especially with those flashy, old clothes.

"I'm an albino." she said, smiling at John.

He kept quiet.

"I don't think he likes me, Bytes."

"You smell like cherries..." spoke a voice that sounded like a melodic flute, "The cherries I used to eat with my Uncle Barnabas."

She threw her head back in laughter.

"You mean you could eat me up?"

John flushed.

"I see you are still as vulgar as ever, Circe." Bytes said, trying to grab her hand, which she removed from his "Let the boy show you your new quarters. Boy!"

"Bye John." she winked.

John was surprised. How did she know his name?

They saw each other the next day, when John passed by her place and Circe was getting ready, wearing a dress John considered a lady should never wear. Plus, it was distracting. He tried to take it out of his mind by making small-talk.

"So, Circe is not your real name, is it?"

She scoffed and turned the mirror to the other side, in consideration. How he wished he could smile at her for such a small favor... But his face formed no expressions.

"Does it matter? I hate all which my family represents. Someday I'll become the most famous singer that London has ever known." she said, while she sat on the stool applying lipstick without any way to see what she was doing.

Her eyes with pink pupils were reddening.

"And I will be in the Theater, watching you with my golden binoculars."

He was holding her hand.

They only realized when Bytes appeared by the door to say:

"Prima Donna, you're due in 5'."