5.

I was moderately early for anthropology class which was taught by Mrs. Montgomery. She was a pedant who stuck to time like gum stuck to tables. I sat at the back so as to avoid her long stares. She loved asking rhetorical questions and staring into the eyes of students like we were on one of those adventurous tv shows. I was sitting next to Ming who was also a member of the press club. I hoped she wasn't going to ask me about my absence.

"Hey, why didn't you come for PCC today?" Damn.

PCC meant 'Press Club Conference'.

"I.. Got caught up with stuff."

"Yeah, I saw you chilling with your friends at the deli. Mikayla, they are not in the press club. You want to get into a good college, right?"

I just stared at her. Sometimes, it was almost like Ming had a problem with me having friends outside the press club. It also seemed like she wanted to be my friend. Why else will she be spying on Marg, Tor and I?

"Kayla, this isn't 7th grade. You have to realize th.." She was interrupted by Mrs. Montgomery.

"Miss. Huang," she walked towards Ming, "please enlighten the class on your discussion with Miss. Hart."

Ming turned red. She fiddled with her pencil and stared right into her notebook, avoiding Mrs. Montgomery's glare.

"Well then. Maybe you could share it with your detention partners," Mrs. Montgomery said as she handed Ming the pink detention slip and walked back to the front of the class.

I thought about what Ming said. She had a point. I needed to get into a good college more than anyone at Manley High. I needed a reasonable scholarship. Ming didn't have a problem; her father was a Korean Minister for crying out loud. Margaret's parents were both movie producers and Tor's father was the most famous lawyer in Washington with his own law firm. I deserved FIT. I deserved it more than anything in the world and if I didn't get in, it would mean all my efforts were in vain.

"Hart." Mrs. Montgomery called. I looked up.

"Please tell us Newton's first law of motion."

My mind might not have been in the class but I still had a mind.

"It talks about the inability of a body at rest to change position unless being acted upon by an external force," I answered.

"Awesome. So class. What then was the external force of the Big Bang?" She asked her rhetorical question, looking at each and every one of us.

"Nothing just happens. Moving is caused by movement itself."

Nobody said a word.

"Okay then. That's your homework. Write an essay about what you think the external force of the Big Bang was. See you guys on Wednesday."

I left the class to see Marg and Tor standing at the door waiting for me. Ming walked out, giving me a deadly look.

"Hey, Abraham Lincoln wants his fucking face back," Torrence said to her.

"He's dead bitch," Ming said back.

"Well, that makes two of you," Torrence smiled. Ming stormed off.

"Tor, you need to stop torturing the Asian kids," Margaret laughed.

"The word torturing begins with my name bitch," Tor said to Marg and they both laughed.

"I just can't believe it. Once summer has come and gone, we'll be 12th graders," Tor mentioned as we walked down the hall together.

"12th graders with SATs to write," I pointed out. They sighed.