Scene 4

EXT. OUTSIDE IN FRONT OF THE BAR - DAY

Nick is sitting at the table and writing on his paper. Meanwhile, THE WAITER approaches him.

THE WAITER

Would you like anything else, sir?

NICK ANTONIS

No, that would be enough. Thank you.

THE WAITER

Very well.

The waiter smiles and wanders off.

NICK ANTONIS

(To himself)

Dear Alexa. The words cannot express how much I admire you and appreciate you. I know we just met and this might seem crazy but I never met a person like you ever before in my life. You completely changed my world as soon as you walked through that door.

Roger appears from afar. When he notices Nick he wants to go to him but as soon as he hears Nick talking he pauses and listens.

NICK ANTONIS (CONT'D)

You make my heart filled with joy. And if they don't allow you to join my population then we can run away together. We can find some cottage in the woods and be happy. No more rules, no more guidelines, no more nothing. Just you and me, and boundless freedom. We can write our own universe. We don't have to follow the guidelines of this one.

ROGER ABANO

So that's what's happening.

Nick swiftly turns around and get up from his seat. Roger fully approaches him now.

NICK ANTONIS

(Shocked)

This isn't what it looks like.

ROGER ABANO

Oh, spear me your words boy, I heard everything. Now, who is that Beta girl.

NICK ANTONIS

Stop degrading her just because she isn't a part of our population.

ROGER ABANO

She isn't a part of our population for a reason, Nick.

NICK ANTONIS

But she could be.

ROGER ABANO

No, she couldn't.

NICK ANTONIS

Why not Roger?

ROGER ABANO

Because she simply doesn't belong with us.

NICK ANTONIS

What are you trying to say? That she was born into a wrong population?

ROGER ABANO

Your words, not mine.

NICK ANTONIS

But you agree with them?

ROGER ABANO

I do.

NICK ANTONIS

(Infuriated)

You're full of shit Roger! Just because you are part of the Alpha population doesn't allow you to justify your arrogance and cynicism. Maybe she's not as 'privileged' as we are but that doesn't mean anything. Now when will you open your eyes and stop being so narrow-minded?

Nick storms off but his letter falls down on the ground. Roger remains motionless, however, he quickly notices the letter on the ground. He picks it up and starts reading it.

ROGER ABANO

(To himself)

Don't act with a permanent solution to a temporary problem, boy.

DISSOLVE TO: