Chapter Two

Chapter Two

After getting into a fight with the alarm clock, discovering mae un tang didn't agree with her, and forgetting her fake name, twice, Kim Ye-rim finally stumbled into Jungsang High, an upper class school only a few miles away from Woo-Kyung's pitiful neighborhood.

  Thanks to her stardom, it had been years since Ye-rim had attended an actual school. She'd pretty much been studying on her own, except for the occasional tutor who would help her when on the road. She couldn't remember the last time she'd been to a real school. And, paired with the fact that Woo-kyung had apparently dropped out of school last year, Ye-rim was terrified.

  The school was ginormous, bigger and nicer than anything else in this minute place. It seemed so out of place in a worn city. She knew how it felt.

  Her classroom was large as well, filled with desks and chairs packing the room from front to back, a huge chalkboard on the far side of the room. Students were everywhere, chattering noisily to one another, none of them paying her much attention when she entered.

  She took a seat at the back of the class, holding her head down and staring intently at her shoes. How would she possibly survive an entire year of this? She wasn't cut out to be like everyone else. Her only friends were celebrities and this was her first time ever stepping foot in a place like this. She closed her eyes.

  One, two, three.

  Counting did absolutely nothing to calm her pounding heart, so she instead pulled out a notebook and began doodling, avoiding the gaze of a classmate to her right. This was going to be harder than she thought.

  "Yah, I wouldn't do that," the other girl whispered. Ye-rim looked up. The girl who had spoken to her had long, dark hair and thick-rimmed glasses. She was so quiet, Ye-rim hadn't been sure she'd heard her speak at all.

  "Excuse me?"

  "Lee Hyun-soo sits there."

  "Who?"

  "Lee Hyun-soo."

  Ye-rim's eyebrows furrowed. "Who is that?"

  Glasses Girl's brown eyes widened. "You mean you haven't heard?"

  "About . . .?"

  "About Eye--" She stopped suddenly, her face going pale and her gaze drifting to the desk in front of her. Her hair was like a curtain guarding her face and Ye-rim was confused until she noticed the shadow over her desk.

  "Yah."

  Her head snapped up and she realized there was someone standing in front of her, a boy whose icy glare sent a chill down her spine. "Hmm?"

  "You're in my seat."

  This was Lee Hyun-soo. Apparently, he was someone no one wanted to mess with, because the other students, who had been bustling with excitement when she'd arrived, had now fallen eerily silent, leaving the classroom's atmosphere tense, everyone's gazes directed only at the boy standing before her.

  She opened her mouth, but something about that look in his eyes made her stop. Maybe it was the angry air he had about him, or the way his stare alone seemed to challenge her, but something about this boy intrigued her and, in away, caused her worry about this new place and new school to vanish immediately. "Are you asking me to move?" she questioned, her calm expression never changing.

  He narrowed his eyes. "I'm not asking anything."

  She fought the smirk that was playing at her lips as she stared up at him, her gaze never wavering and, for  once, her heart beat was normal. "Then I guess you should find another seat."