The Reunion, Pt. 2 - "We Are Together"

The four girls swam into the moon pool one after the other. Cleo was the first one to turn her head above the water. "This place hasn't aged a day." She said looking around, at what used to be their special place.
Rikki nodded. "I know, right? It's like it all comes back, as you sit here."
"It's been almost five years since my last time here." Emma said as the four girls laid against the stone edge of the pool. "It's amazing how fast you can forget all the feelings something makes you feel."
"How did we let it go so badly between us?" Bella frowned.
Rikki looked at her. "I don't think it was preventable." Rikki said. "We grew up, found other interests."
"I feel like I can't even connect to this side of me anymore." Cleo said. "It's hard being a mermaid when you can enjoy the pros of it, and all you gotta do is hide."
Emma jumped. "Exactly. I feel the same way. I feel like... Like I lost something. Like I'm not who I used to be."
"Life was so much less complicated at eighteen." Rikki chuckled, followed by the others laughing as well. "I just wish... I wish we could go back."
"I don't think it's a matter of going back. It's more of a matter of reconnecting with yourself." Bella said, rubbing water through her hair.
"I missed you guys. A lot." Rikki smiled and reached to her sides. The three girls smiled back.
"Yeah, I missed you too." Emma said.
"Me too." Cleo and Bella said at the same time.
Their long copper coloured tails brushed against the others in the water.
"Maybe we could go for a swim over Mako reef one more time?" Rikki looked at the girls with a cheeky smile.

And so the girls went for a swim; And let me tell you, it was just like the old days. It's as nothing has changed, or aged a day. The cool ocean water flowing through their hairs, as they were gliding over the reefs, greeted by a school of colourful fish, surrounded by a world of sea anemones, starfishes, and corals. Hiding being rocks, winking at each other, sticking their tongues out. The four young women felt as if there wasn't a single worry in the world. No husbands, no kids, no work, no one else besides them. And for the first time in many years, they felt complete. They felt together again.