Chapter 4

All us first year girls ( year 7 in normal schools) crowd around the big window at the front of the school. Every so often one of us would smile run out of the front doors and down the steps to greet our parents. Soon there's only about 16 of us left. My mum arrives and I run down the steps to hug her like a clone of all the other 11 year olds. I just don't have a father to hug, he lives in America. I stay with him a few weeks each summer and he visits for a week before Christmas, I Skype him sometimes but other than that I don't see him all that often. But I'm ok with that. "What's the plan mum?" I ask. We're allowed to stay at the school as well as leave so long as we're back by 7.30. "I thought we could maybe go find a pub somewhere, grab some lunch. Go on a mini road trip. I go to the house reception and sign out. We get in the car and mum puts the radio on. They're playing loads of old songs so me and mum are singing at the top of our not particularly tuneful voices . "Baby you light up my world like no body else." We get to a T- junction "Which way?" Mum is asking me
"What?"
"Left or right?"
"Why are you asking me?" I say looking at her sat nav which she then turns off. "Well let's just see where we end up?"
"Erm left." I say and laugh and we continue to sing along to the radio. We end up in Bourton on the water and adorably cute chocolate box Cotswold village. we found a pub called the mousetrap in. I I had a burger and mum had lamb it was really lovely, the food was delicious and mum and I were chatting and joking around. One thing I don't mind about boarding school is when I'm with my mum she makes an effort to have fun with me rather than just putting me in front of the TV or leaving me in my bedroom while she's  busy like she used to do when I was at primary school. We find the only ice cream parlour open in January and get huge cones and sit outside in our coats on a bench in front of the stream watching the world go buy. All too soon it's time to head back to the car and back towards school.
When we get back we get out of the car. "Oh mum, I want to show you, I learnt a new piece on my violin." I'm not a huge fan of playing my violin but mum wanted me to learn an instrument so I've been playing violin the last few years. I should be doing my grade 3 later this year. "Ok, let's get some tea first though baby" Dinner on Sunday in school is more of an afternoon tea set up sandwiches and cakes and the like. I've definitely gained weight since being here. On the way to the dining hall mums phone goes off. "Charlie?" She asks. I smile Charlie is someone my mum works with and he's the closest hing I have to a Grandad. I don't have any grandparents on my mums side, apparently I met my grandad when I was a baby but I don't remember. I see my Gran, my dads mum from time to time but mum doesn't get on with her all that well. "Ok, I'll be there as soon as possible." Mum is saying. She stops the call then turns to me. "Sorry Gracie, but there's been an emergency at work I have to go."
"But what about tea, and my violin piece?"
"Sorry baby, next Time." She says
"Mum, You work in an emergency department, there's always an emergency!"
"A big crash on the M5 babe, I have to go, see you next week. I'm sure you can have tea with one of your friends and you can play me your violin next week." She walks off before even giving me a hug or saying goodbye. I know none of my friends will want to have tea with me. They all have their own families. "Oh Grace, are you on your own." I freeze, it's Mr Kemper. "Um...mum just had to go." I say. "Do you want to join me for tea?" He asked.
"N..no thanks Sir. I...i had a big lunch with my mum." I answer.
"Come on" he says and grabs my arm. Tightly. He drags me towards the dining hall. Then goes past it and carries on. "Please no" I say. "Stop whining Grace," he says and pushes me into his office.