Chapter 5

Tamlin

"What?" I gape at him. "Why are you here?"

"Well, I thought I'd come check on you, but when I got there, you two were having quite the argument in the dining room, so I let you be, but then you burst out and, well, I followed you. Plus, you think too loudly," Rhy's chuckles, coming up to stand beside me, facing the silver pool.

That's what Sharun keeps saying.

"You're scared of having a mate, of that level of commitment. Plus, it goes against your sexist ways to have an equal," Rhysand shrugs with a smirk playing out on his lips, causing a low growl to emanate from my throat.

"What are you doing?"

"Giving relationship advice?" He shrugs, unsure. "the point is, you need to work on accepting people. It's not a weakness to have a mate, it actually makes you stronger..."

"My god, you sound like some romantic fool," I grumble, looking up at the stars.

"Perhaps I am, but take it from me, as a man who has a mate..."

"Yeah, a mate that you stole from me on my wedding day!" I say bitterly, facing him.

"Tamlin, drop it already! By the Cauldron! You are like an old woman, always complaining! You didn't even love her, you were just clinging to someone who was going to make you feel powerful, and normal. Believe me, none of us were the same after the mountain," Rhysand says, watching me carefully. "I think you should give her a chance. I mean, you may think she's some bastard due to her being one of the king's experiments and half demon..."

"How do you know that?"

"I can read your thoughts, remember? It's constantly in the back of your head. You just can't get over the fact that she isn't a pure High Fae or that she's more powerful than you," Rhysand smiles sadly. "Don't make that mistake. Just because we aren't full fae, doesn't mean we are less than you," Rhysand says, stepping back and spreading out his massive black wings. "Now that I see you two are...getting along? I'll be taking my leave. I'll be back in a couple of days..."

"I don't need a fucking babysitter," I spit, looking at him as his dark power curls arounds him, the moon gleaming off his black wings.

"No, but you do need to be monitored," he winks before taking off to the sky.

"Fuck you!" I shout after him and I swear I can hear his laughter as he leaves.

+++

I trudge back into the house, finding it unusually quiet. I let out a deep sigh before making my way up to Sharun's room, needing to apologize, once again. As soon as I reach the wooden door, I move my hand to knock on the door but pause when I hear muffled cries and quiet curses coming from the other side.

My heart breaks in half, knowing that I did that to her...to my mate. I hurt her, both physically and emotionally. She offered me food and I...I rejected her by not eating it, by yelling at her.

It was a cause to celebrate when the female offers the male food, but I rejected her instead. Sure, it was unintentional, but I still did it, I still hurt her, my little mate.

God, I was such an ass!

Hesitantly, I knocked on the wood, taking a deep breath.

"Go away," I hear her snarl from the other side, only a small trace of sadness in her voice.

"Sharun, we need to talk..."

"Oh, now you want to talk to me? Sorry, I'm not available at the moment," she remarks.

"Now is not the time to be a smart ass, just open this fucking door or I'll break it down," I growl, causing a bitter laugh to sound from the other side.

"Go ahead!"

I take her threat and slam my fists against the door, knocking it from its hinges and sending it shattering to the ground. I see her glaring at me from across the room, a sword gripped in her hands.

I take step towards her causing her to let out a low growl in warning. I stop in my tracks, not wanting her to run away from me.

"Sharun, I'm sorry for what happened in the dining room. I didn't mean to reject you. I was just shocked, and angry that you knew and didn't tell me..."

"Don't be. Let's just forget about it, okay. You go back to being the asshole you were and I'll go back to being the bitch, this way there is no complications..."

"But I don't want to go back to that. I can't..."

"Right, sorry, you never stopped being the asshole..."

"Just listen to me! If we are mates then we are together for a reason, I say, taking another step towards her, allowing me to see her tear stained cheeks now red with anger.

"It's a mistake. We aren't meant for each other. I'm not made for anyone," she says, looking at me with so much hostility that I can feel it burning me.

"No, that's not true..."

"I'm going to stay with one of the other high lords," she informs me, not meeting my gaze.

"No..." But my words fall of deaf ears as she winnows away from me, leaving me in the empty room, surrounded by her scent.

Where the hell did she go?

I stare at the empty space she just occupied, blinking. How did I lose my mate? I drive away Feyre, and now I drove away Sharun, my fucking mate!

I keep losing control of myself, and allowing it to ruin the good things around me. My fiance moved on, my best friend left me, my court fell apart, and now my mate, the person I was supposed to love and cherish for the rest of my life, disappears all because I was an ass.

I don't even know where she went!

I have to find her! I have to make things right. She's supposed to be with me for the rest of my immortal life. We were meant to be together, and I'm not going to fuck up the one thing in my life that can possibly go right for me.

But where do I start?