Chapter V Hiding in the Shadows

The cold air brushed through Elysse face as she steps out off the bus. The whole bus trip made her uneasy and now she had a five minutes' walk away from home. She started walking and made a right turn on the corner.  She have walked this streets her whole life but tonight feels a little different.

The freezing air seems to whisper on her ears. The light posts flickered on and off as she passed through the neighborhood. The tall trees completely blocked out the moon and the stars casting their long shadows across the road. It looks like she's walking on a dark tunnel. Who would have thought that this lively street on the day looks so haunted at night?

No, it's not the trees nor the darkness that made her uneasy. It's something else lurking in the shadows.

She quickened her pace. Three more minutes she told herself.

Every steps she makes seems to echo on a short distant. She looked around but there was not a single soul to be found. Her mind and her heart are all racing at once. She doesn't know what she's worried about exactly.

It was eerily quiet and the entire neighbors are in their deep slumber. She was all alone yet again. She continue walking and the footsteps seems to be heavy this time.

No Elysse you are not alone                                                                                   

The hairs on the nape of her neck bristled. It wasn't just footsteps behind her- the smell of mixed chemicals, cologne and desperation crept closer

She panicked and reached the keys in her pocket. The only 'sharp' weapon she had right now. She clutched the keys pointing out between her knuckles. It was positive that there is someone behind her. The shadows behind came closer in her peripheral vision and she picked up her pace.

She can see the view of her house and she speed up. She reached the front door and fumbles to get the keys on her knuckles. Her fingers turned red from how tightly she's been clenching with them.

She tried to get the key into the lock and she feels like she's watching herself in a horror movie unable to open the door. That any second now she can drop the keys and that someone following her has its chance to attack. Hearing the sound of her own heartbeat resonating in her eardrums made her more anxious.

Open up you stupid door!

With a click on the doorknob she hurriedly stormed inside and firmly slammed the door closed with a thud. Only then her heart begins to return to its normal pace.

What was that?

Elysse peek through the window and saw a hooded person in the shadows. It was just standing there. He tried to hide his head through his hood but his eyes lit like fire in the darkness.

Elysse eyes narrowed when she realized that his deathly looks are fixated in their house- straight to her. She hurriedly shut the windows closed and locked it with her hands sweating.

It can't be the man in the parking lot is he?

She shakes that thought aside. There's a lot of things in her mind right know. She was in a major turmoil and her body needs to rest. She hasn't move on about the parking lot incident and now this. It happens one after the other. Strange things happen when she's alone. She sighed.

She silently went upstairs careful not to wake her mother up. She peeks through the door just to see her mother's face sleeping. Good thing she didn't wake her up for slamming the door a while ago.

Guess what mum, a lot of things happen to your daughter these past few days. I can't tell you though. Those strange things.