3

Kinsley

"A year ago, everything was different. And now I look back and realize that a year can do a lot to a person."

"It's okay, baby, look at me. It's going to be alright," I hear Nezther coo as I approach the top of the steps. I knock on the door. "It's open," she calls.

I open the door and step into her room. Jason sits on the edge of their bed with his head in his hands and Nezther kneeling in front of him. I furrow my eyebrows. "Is everything okay?" I ask cautiously.

"Yes," Nezther sighs as she leans her head into Jason's lap.

"No, it's not," he whispers.

I sit next to him on the bed. "What's going on?" I look down at Nessie.

She lets out a huff, moving so she's sitting on her husband's lap. "He has no refills left on his medication and his doctor can't see him for two weeks. But he's okay, right, Kin? He'll be just as perfect as he is now," she looks at me with raised eyebrows.

I nod quickly. "Of course! Jason, you've come so far and with a little extra strength, nothing will be different in these next two weeks," I try to assure him.

He wraps his arms around Nessie's waist and rests his head on her shoulder. "I don't want to hurt anybody," he whispers.

She reaches around to rub his back. "We know, babe. We won't let you and we know you won't let yourself," she kisses his forehead.

I rub his shoulder. "One day at a time, Jace."

"Thank you for believing in me, girls. I couldn't be where I am today without you, either of you."

I smile at both of them before walking to the door. I close the door behind me and make my way to the kitchen. Leigh sips a glass of water as her and Justin sit in awkward silence.

"Can you show me to my room, please?" Justin turns to me.

I nod, "sure." He follows me up the first flight of stairs and down the hall. I open a guest room next to the hallway bathroom and turn the light on. "There's extra blankets in the chest at the end of the bed and two more pillows on the shelf in the closet."

"Thank you," he clears his throat. "Nathan is perfect. I don't think I've ever seen such a cute and well behaved baby," he compliments.

I give him a small, generous smile. "He is, isn't he?" He smiles and nods in reply. "Leigh is completely in love with him. I don't think I've ever been more in love with her."

«» «» «»

"Babe," I feel a hand rubbing my back. I hum softly as I open my eyes. Leigh sits next to me with a small smile spread across her lips. "Hi, babygirl."

"Hi," I sit up.

She places a small kiss to my lips. "Nathan has an appointment today. Are you going to go or do you want to sleep some more?" She caresses my cheek.

I lean into her touch. "Of course, I'm going to come. I wouldn't miss it for the world," I whisper.

"Jason has him right now... do you want to take a quick shower with me?"

"Oh hell yes," I jump up quickly. Her angelic giggle leaves her lips as she follows me to our bathroom.

Justin

"Can I hold him?" I ask Nezther.

Carson screams, "no!" He tucks his head into his mother's neck.

She sighs heavily. "I can forgive you, Justin. But I cannot assure you everything will be good between us, between you and Jason, or between you and my children," she tells me.

I nod slowly. "I know that," I mumble.

She carries Carson out of the room. I sit by myself for a few minutes before Jasper comes in and Leigh and Kinsley come upstairs. "What's wring, Leigh?" Jasper asks as he runs over to her.

He hugs her waist tightly. She hugs him back with a deep frown. "It's nothing, bud," she whispers.

Kinsley shakes her head and walks to the fridge. "Hi, Justin," she says with her back to me.

"Hello," I reply softly. "How did everyone sleep?"

"Great," Kinsley replies. Jasper just looks at me. I shift a bit uncomfortably before he looks away. I shrug it off.