Chapter 2

Erik rolled over in bed, unable to sleep, as usual. He never slept well, and frankly he was surprised he hadn't gone mad from lack of sleep. He turned on the lamp and sighed, sitting up and stretching. His muscles ached because he hadn't slept, and it was still early.. Probably about two o'clock in the morning. After he sat for awhile, his eyelids drooped, and he curled up again, falling into a slight drowse until his alarm went off in what felt like about five minutes later.

He put on his usual clothing, which was a neat longsleeve shirt, a tie, neatly ironed black pants, and his tailcoat. But after a moment or two of looking at how hot today was going to be, he sighed and started burrowing into his enormous walk-in closet. Eventually, he found a decent looking short sleeve shirt and jeans. He grimaced as he put them on. Jeans and a t-shirt. These were not his normal clothes, and he wasn't sure how comfortable he was in them... But sweating like a pig probably wasn't the best thing when meeting clients.

He moved downstairs and quickly made his breakfast, eggs and toast as usual, with a cup of chamomile tea. He wasn't much of a coffee person, though he did enjoy the occasional cup. He preferred tea leaves brewed in a proper pot, but would also settle for the name-brand kinds that restaurants made. He finished both his tea and his food quickly, being a fast eater in the mornings. He grabbed his keys and walked out to the black Stang 72 that he drove. He got in, relishing in the tan leather seats and the refurbished wheel and radio. He'd put plenty of money into this old car, and he hadn't been disappointed. He started it up and enjoyed the sound of the engine. He didn't need those ridiculous froo-froo cars that everyone else drove. He had a good car right here.

Erik got to work early, as usual, and started his morning by dusting, organizing, and just a general cleaning of his office. He was about to start in Ms. Josephine's office when she came in, "Good morning, Mr. Phantomstein." She said, looking confused, "What are you doing in my office?"

Erik straightened and smiled at her, and instantly saw shock appear on her face. His smile disappeared slightly, "What's the matter, Ms. Josephine? I was merely doing you the courtesy of cleaning your desk a little."

"No it's not that." She said, "You're wearing jeans and a t-shirt."

"I am." Erik said, "What's wrong with that?"

Ms. Josephine stared at him a moment longer, then shook her head, "I just never thought you were the type of man to wear that kind of stuff."

"I have nice clothes I'll wear when the clients come." Erik said, "But for now, I'm going to wear something that won't make me overheat."

Ms. Josephine stared after the famous Erik Phantomstein as he walked out. The t-shirt hugged his muscled frame, his broad shoulders flexing even as he walked, his torso narrow, but not too thin. His body was perfect... Absolutely perfect... Why couldn't she ever get him to adore her the way she adored him? She absolutely worshipped the man, and he was ever oblivious to her attempts to get to know him on a better mental and physical level.

Erik knew Ms. Josephine had stared after him, though he didn't really know why. He finished up his office and then sat down at the large mahogany desk, taking a pen and paper and writing a few sentences, "A man's courage is one that comes from within, something achieved from his fear, the darkness inside that often holds him back from the light up ahead." A knock at his door got his attention, and he looked up, a young woman with long brown hair stood just outside the door, her dark brown eyes staring at him. He stood quickly, feeling extremely embarrassed and vulnerable in the clothes he was wearing. It was a very bad idea to wear this. He'd never make that mistake again.