Chapter 1

Date: 21st September

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Year: 1948

He is gone now. It’s been ten minutes from when they shared their last kiss for a coming few days. Now she stood there, under the mistletoe and looked at the path he had travelled along with his army suit and a hand luggage, the luggage that they had gotten during their honeymoon. He took memories with him in that luggage for he was afraid he might not be back from the war he was going to fight. But she knew from deep down her heart and her soul that he would be back soon and their two years long relationship would not simply waste away.

She had planned many things. He’d be back and they’d have a baby. They’ll also buy a dog so that their baby will have a companion. 

With that, she let her last tear flow from her eyes. Wiping her cheeks, she looked at the road for one last time before turning back and closing the door.

He would be back soon and she was sure that their love would remain the same, possibly grow even stronger.

***

He’d left her all alone. He was missing her a lot even if it had only been a day. The training had started already but his mind had floated far away, far away from this place, far away to his own home town, far away to his angel, his lover, his wife.

‘What if I get tired of waiting? What if our relationship gets weak over the gaps that we are having?’

It was hard for him to get that deep feeling of doubts out of his chest so he diverted his mind back to training. He wasn’t sure he’d be back to taste the raindrops of his home town from this bright sun of Afghanistan. But even if he’d be fortunate enough to go back, he was afraid that their relationship wouldn’t be the same, their love wouldn’t be the same.