Chapter 3

Date: 5th April

                                                                                                                                                                                                 Year: 1951

There were no letters or postcards from him. There was nothing, only the faint memories sticking up in her brain. He could be up there in that somewhere beautiful of God, for all she knew. Sitting in front of the piano and looking outside the window, she counted every second that passed away. Days had turned into months and months to years and still there wasn’t any sign of him.

Her fragile heart was now into pieces. It was the day of their anniversary and she was wearing a black and blue polka dotted dress. It was the one that he had gifted her years ago on the same date.  She had baked a cake like she did every time in their anniversary and also had prepared a surprise gift just in case he came.

But he did not. The brightness of the sun was now changed to darkness, much like her own life.

“Will you come?” she pondered.  

***

There were stubble on his once clean face and he had gotten a lot more tanned because of the sun. His hair was now cut very short. His eyes were on the road and focus in his mission but again he was mumbling something to himself. He looked towards the dessert passing by, the battlefield and looked at his mates. He then shifted slightly in his seat and signed softly eyes back on the road again.