Chapter 2

"I knew you looked familiar." Dimitri said, completely ignoring my attempt at help getting off the ground. "What are you doing here?" He asked.

"Uh, A little help here D." I said, stretching my hand out. When I looked up, he was still ignoring me and staring at Angelique. I took my outstretched hand, smacked D in the leg and pushed myself up off the ground. "Don’t worry about me, D, I'll help myself up off the ground." I said a little bit irritated.

"Oh, sorry Maggie." He spared me a brief apologetic smile then turned back to Angelique. "So, why are you here?" He leaned forward a little bit and lowered his voice. "Are you following me?"

That caught my attention. "D, what’s going on?" I placed my hand on his arm lightly.

Angelique finally spoke. "I am not following you Dimitri. I am merely following my parents. Just because your family has a problem with mine because of what happened a few years ago doesn’t mean you should hold those feelings against me. It should be our parents fight, not ours." She held out her hand. "What do you say? Truce?"

He looked at her outstretched hand and sneered. It was the first time I had seen him completely disgusted. He looked back up at her. “Fuck you.” And turned around and headed to our next class. I spared her a fleeting glance and saw anger light her eyes before she turned and headed in the opposite direction.

I just stood there. Dumbstruck by what just happened. What did just happen? Following him? Parent feud? I shook my head. I don’t even know if I want to know. I turned in the direction that Dimitri went and headed to class. Alone.

When I reached the classroom, Dimitri was in his normal seat, but he seemed like he wasn’t truly there. I have never seen him like this before.

Wait….

Yes I have. There was once about 4 years ago when he seemed really upset and depressed. But that was the time that his grandmother had passed away. So that has to be the only thing that really bothered him right?

Unless….

No. He wouldn’t lie to me. Would he? I guess we will find out.

The rest of the day went by with very few words from Dimitri. I was really concerned about him, but I knew this was not a conversation for school grounds. Especially since Angelique is in our last 2 classes. Including my gym class. I wanted to confront her about what she was talking about, but I want to talk to D before I even consider talking to her.

I walked with Dimitri back to his car but he was walking so fast that I nearly had to run to catch up to him. “D, where’s the fire?” He ignored me and walked faster. “Dimitri?! Stop damn it! What the hell is going on?” I screamed as I ran up to him and grabbed his hand to stop him.

“What?!” He screamed as he quickly rounded on me. He looked so mad that I took a step backwards. When he realized who he was looking at, his features softened. “I’m so sorry Maggie.” He took a step towards me and reached out. I could tell he was looking for some type of comfort. I immediately went into his embrace and hugged him close.

“I’m sorry Mag. I know you want to know what is going on. I promise that once we get home we will talk about her.” He motioned towards the school.

I pulled back slightly. “I hope so, because the suspense is killing me.” I smiled and I saw him fighting a smile as well. I was glad to see some of my Dimitri coming back. Hopefully this won’t be too hard on the both of us.

He walked me over to the passenger side of the car and let me in. Walking over to his side of the car, he got in and in less than a minute we were off towards home.

It was a quiet ride, but it was not like the quiet that I had to deal with during school. I kept stealing quick looks in his direction, but he seemed deep in thought. Probably deciding how he was going to tell me what the hell was going on.

A few short minutes later, we pulled up to his house and walked inside, up the stairs and to his room. Dropping my backpack right inside the door I walked over to the bed and plopped down right in the middle. Dimitri has a queen bed that was meant for the both of us to sleep in, just like I have one too. We both went mattress shopping because it was getting too crowded to sleep in the same bed and we both didn’t want the other sleeping on the floor.

While I sat in the middle of the bed, Dimitri paced in front of the bed like a cat in a cage, ready to go off at any minute. I sat patiently waiting, knowing that he would launch into this tirade whenever he had the words mapped out in his mind. He finally stood at the end of the bed and looked directly at me. There were many emotions playing on his face, but the main one was guilt. He leaned onto the bed and came close to my face. I playfully reached up and kissed the tip of his nose. “Don’t be mad at me.” He whispered, really close to my face.

“Why would I be mad at you?” I asked, reaching up to caress his face to calm him down. He leaned into it for a second before he answered me.

Opening his eyes he looked straight at me, “I’m sorry Abby. Know that I love you and never meant to keep this from you.”

My heart started to race. Uh oh. I gulped, “What are you talking about?”

“Angelique and her family are mortal enemies practically because her parent’s tried to kidnap me.” He said on a low whisper.