xxviii. shifting sands

Trigger Warning: Lots of language in this chapter. Moreso than usual

While the sun had begun to set on Peregrin—which now held more people than it had in years—the kids were just getting started. Harper's army had settled into the empty cabins on the western side of the camp, but she didn't feel they had reason to celebrate just yet. Yes, this would be comfortable for the time being, but until they could truly assert authority over the land, she had to keep working.

But Harper had a secret weapon: the Ravens who had stayed behind were on her side. They had joined her cause, which she had to admit was in their own best interests. Uniting the forest under one common ruler, herself, meant that the old factions had dissipated and they could finally be at peace. Sure, they now had to follow her rules when before they had complete freedom, but it was a small exchange for all that they would gain.

"Find him," Harper instructed to the brunette in front of her, "He'll listen to you."

And so, Dylan Alexander took a deep breath and crossed the border into the other side of the camp. The Ravens who were once her friend stopped and stared as she walked across the dying grass, but all she received were a multitude of glares and disapproval. Nobody smiled or even bothered to say hello. They were pissed. She could understand why.

"Sebastian," she said, approaching the boy from behind. He whipped around, but his expression when he saw who was speaking didn't change. If any part of him was at all happy to see her, he suppressed it well. "You found a nice camp."

"Are you surprised?" he asked.

"Can we talk?" she changed the subject. He nodded, but gestured for her to drop her weapon. She did so, and he left his knife on the steps outside the boys' cabin. The room was empty, but after taking one step in, Dylan could feel the life that used to flourish in the Grove. She missed that energy. Without Hayden's smile, and Nathan's remarks, or even Corey's infectious laugh, her camp had felt empty over the past week. She'd missed them all.

"Thought you said our camp was worth fighting for," Sebastian said, crossing his arms and leaning against one of the bunks.

"We gave in to Harper for the same reason you gave Hayden your jacket, and the same reason he gave it back to you," Dylan said.

"And why is that?" Sebastian raised an eyebrow, not actually interested in anything she'd have to say. He saw no way he could forgive her for falling in line with their enemy, for betraying their legacy.

"Because stepping down gave us our best shot," she said, "I thought you'd understand that."

"What did she offer you?" he sighed.

"Everything," Dylan smiled, her eyes soft and charmed, "We're at peace with the Condors, Seb. Isn't that amazing?"

"You were always at peace with them," he muttered, "Emma and I weren't. You'd have never had problems with them if we weren't there. Harper didn't give you that."

"Sure," she rolled her eyes, but continued, "Don't you realize that it helps us to be apart of a real civilization? We can trade, we can be a part of their economy. They have so many resources, Sebastian, it's wonderful. It's like we're in the real world again."

"This is the real world," he shook his head, "Do you have any idea who Harper is?"

"She's not demonic, if that's what you're suggesting," Dylan said, "She saved our people."

"She didn't save mine."

"Seb—"

"She threatened to kill my sister if I didn't submit to her terms," he snapped, "She put a kill order on her best friend because she wanted to explore. She let my friend take a grenade for her, and paid no attention as he was comatosed. She tried to conquer three thousand acres worth of forest."