xxix. blood lines

Mason and Emma had agreed that, much to Emma's disdain, she did in fact have to stay in the cabin. When Sebastian was to come around in the morning, she must let him in, let him talk to her. She hated this, truly wanting nothing to do with her brother at this time, but she understood that he was the key to Mason's plan succeeding. If she could make him believe that they had their spy, they had their eyes on the inside, they could oust Harper's army. Should Emma come to her brother outside of the cabin, he would be too flustered to think rationally. They would lose all chances of success instantly. So no, she would have to wait out that night, although Mason left her with the small bobby pin he'd used to enter. She was no longer captive.

Emma had not slept that night. She'd watched as the sun rose, illuminating the dust particles floating in the hazy glow. Her stomach had begun to hurt and her head ached, a sign of the starvation she'd forced unto herself. It had been almost twenty-four hours since she'd last eaten, and while she'd gone longer without fuel, her body still panged for nourishment. However, when Sebastian came by this time around, she still would not eat. Her fasting might force him into trusting her and Mason's plan. She knew how much he hated to see her hurt.

Eventually, she heard a soft rapping on her door. It was time. She had taken a seat on one of the lower bunks, picking the dirt out from underneath her fingernails. Her biggest enemy in this new cell was the boredom. With the Condors she had at least had the pain to distract her.

"Emma," she heard her brother whisper from outside, "You okay? Do you need water?"

"Fine," she muttered, knowing this would bring him inside. She still had no intention to drink. Sure enough, she heard the scratching sound of the key being inserted, and he slowly entered the cabin.

"I know you hate me," Sebastian sighed, handing her a red solo cup of water.

"You're right," she said, taking the cup and placing it on the ground beside her. She wanted to pour it out, spill it all over the splintering wood, but she knew that her brother was not the one working their hydration system the day before. It may have been Natalia carrying the buckets up and down the grueling hill. She wasn't going to be that wasteful.

Sebastian stared at her, eyes full of sadness and regret, "I'm just trying to keep you safe, Emma."

"I know," she muttered, "I'm guessing Cora failed?"

"Yeah," he nodded, "And Megan also has made it very clear that she wants to kill you, so don't even suggest I change my mind about you."

"We have our spy," Emma said, "Assuming you'll trust him."

Sebastian just shook his head, looking down, "How the hell do we have a spy?"

"Mason," she revealed, "He came by last night."

"Is that a Condor?" Her brother gaped at her, "No, Emma, you're insane. Look what they did to you! You can't trust any of them, you know that."

She shook her head, "Megan wants me dead, right? You don't think her boyfriend would have told her where I'm hidden by now?"

"You want me to trust Megan's boyfriend," Sebastian just kind of laughed, "You're wrong, Emma. You're delusional. You need to eat something. Drink that water, now." His sister simply stared at him, crossing her arms in a sign of refusal. She was not as crazy as she sounded, and instead was thinking clearly.

"You need to listen to me," Emma pleaded, "We have nothing else to lose."

"I do," Sebastian sighed, "You." The angered girl before him didn't fully know how to respond, but their moment was soon cut off by a scream outside. Both Harlems flew over to the door, although the older tried to hold his sister back.