Prologue

Hello :) and welcome to the prologue of The Storeh of Kumiko. I'm super excited for this, yay! Hopefully I actually finish this one hehe. So let's see how this goes!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Kakashi Hatake.”

I trudged through the long grass sluggishly. The brown water rose up to my knees, and my feet sank down farther into the mud as I struggled to get through the treacherous swamp. The tall stalks of thick yellow grass reached far above my head until I couldn’t even make out the sky. Branches, like clawing hands, scratched at my face and body. I looked down to see the murky water darkening with my scarlet blood. Up ahead I saw a tiny sliver of light break through the foliage, causing my eyes to shine with sudden determination.

“Kakashi Hatake,” I repeated, “I need to find you…”

I took a few steps forward. I didn’t know who I was talking to; all I knew was that I was running out of chakra and I needed to find that mysterious masked ninja as soon as possible. Right then that was all I cared about. He was the only one I trusted. My heart pounding against my chest, my lungs ready to burst, I was engulfed with the light of the moon. I sighed in relief to feel fresh air in my lungs once again. My eyelids were heavy as led, and I tried not to close them, but at that moment I felt like sleeping. They closed.

Suddenly, I was falling. Wind whipped against my skin and gave me cuts, bringing more pain that I deserved. I opened my eyes immediately and looked around to see what was happening. The jagged texture of rock caught my attention. On instinct, I forced my body to move and I grabbed onto the wall. My hands scraped against the sharp stone and a scream escaped effortlessly. The pain was excruciating; my hands were drenched in blood and I couldn’t see the skin on my palms. Even though I had managed to slow down a little I knew that I continued to accelerate with each passing second and that tiny amount of friction wasn’t nearly enough to save me from my fall.

I tried with my feet, but was instead flipped upside down. I cursed under my breath, looked down, and froze. The bottom was so close… As fast as I could I activated my ice manipulation jutsu and encased myself with a thick layer of ice, using up the rest of my chakra in the process. I hoped it would be enough to break my fall. But it didn’t. I cried out when my body hit the stone. The ice shattered, sending shards in every direction. My head felt like it cracked in half. The moon in the distance was drenched in crimson; it looked like a tiny drop had fallen from the sky and onto me. The world swirled and blurred, surrounding me like smoke.

I screwed my eyes shut, wanting to die. No… No I can’t die stop thinking that. I thought angrily. I need to find… My eyes widened suddenly.

Who do I need to find?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for reading :) Chapter 1 should be up shortly!

~Kane