Chapter 9

The next day, Stephanie's plan came into action. Stephanie put up a ladder outside of Maddie's window for Stingy, so he could throw the paper airplane into her room. Maddie was right back from the bathroom, after brushing her teeth. She found the paper airplane on her bed with Sportacus' name on it. Of course, even without it she would know from who it is. I mean, who else sends letters like this?

She unfolded it and began to read:

"My dear Maddie,

I invite you tonight to the Lazy Park

for a special dinner.

Hope to see you there at 7:30PM exactly!

With love,

Sportacus"

Maddie smiled to herself as she went to eat breakfast with her family.

"Good morning, Maddie! You look very happy today. Is it something to do with Sportacus?" her father asked.

"Of course! We're having a date tonight!" she showed him the letter from "him". Stephanie just smiled to herself as she ate her cereal.

"That's great, sweetie. Hope you'll have fun," Milford kissed his daughter's cheek.

"Thanks, dad! After breakfast I'll go and choose my outfit for tonight," she said and started to eat her breakfast. "Oh, that reminds me! Yesterday I was talking to Sportacus and I thought that if I will perform on the 4th of July party, I could sing a romantic song while you will propose to Bessie," she "hinted". Stephanie, of course, got that hint, and rolled her eyes. Another performance by the big star Maddie Meanswell!

"Well, actually, that's not a bad idea at all. You got it, Madeline! You can start working on the set list, my dear," Milford said.

"Ohhh, thank you, thank you, thank you so much, dad!" she jumped on him.

"O-Okay, I get it, you're welcome! Now get off me, please," Milford asked.

"Oh, sorry!"

Once breakfast was over, Maddie went back to her room to choose an outfit for tonight, while Stephanie went to the phone and called Stingy.

"Stingy, hi, it's Stephanie!" she said. "Everything works according to the plan. Tell Pixel and Trixie to set the table and the lights around 6:30PM, and I'll come over around the same time to your place and we'll start cooking. Yes, of course it has to be at your house, Stingy! Because otherwise she will find out!" she said and hung up the phone. She then grabbed a banana and went outside to meet her friends.

*****

Meanwhile, Maddie was making a mess in her room. She couldn't decide what to wear for tonight! Sportacus said in his letter that it's going to be a special dinner. Why was it so special? She didn't know. So she had to be prepared for anything! Eventually she chose a white simple top and a hot pink, layered skirt. She lied them neatly on her bed as she chose her accessories for tonight as well. She picked out from her jewelry box a necklace with a blue gem as a pedant. She received this from Sportacus for her last birthday. She put it with her chosen outfit on the bed and went outside to play with the kids.

*****

In the playground, she found the kids playing with some jumping ropes and decided to join in. She picked a rope from the floor and started jumping with them.

"Hi, guys!" she greeted them.

"Oh, hello, Maddie!" the kids greeted her back and giggled, except for Ziggy, who just rolled his eyes.

"Um, what's so funny?" Maddie asked and they all stopped at once.

"What? We didn't laugh," Stephanie innocently said. Maddie just looked at her suspiciously but let it go.

"So, is there anything else fun you're planning on doing today?" Maddie asked as she stopped jumping.

"Well, we have baseball game planned, with Sportacus. But don't worry, we'll bring him back just in time for your date," Stephanie fake-laughed, and so did the other kids.

"Well, you better!" Maddie laughed as well, then left to the ice cream shop to get refreshed. All Stephanie did was to smile evilly as Maddie left.

*****

The evening came, and the kids were getting Maddie's "date" ready at the park. Pixel set up lights all around the park to make it look romantic, while Trixie set up the chairs and the table. Stingy and Stephanie arrived after them with the food they made at Stingy's house earlier.

"Great, so everything is set! I can't wait for her to come home after a while crying that her precious, little Sportacus bailed on her!" Stephanie said with excitement.

She went home, pretending she was spending the afternoon with her friends and not plotting against her own cousin, as Milford greeted her.

"Ah, hello, Stephanie! How was it with your friends?" he asked from his couch, as he was reading his newspaper.

"It was fun. Is Maddie around?" she innocently asked him.

"Oh, yes, she's in her room, getting ready for her date with Sportacus," he smiled, as if he were very proud of her dating the town's hero.

"Well, what do you think?" Maddie came out with the outfit she chose in the morning and she looked stunning.

"Oh, you look wonderful, dear! I'm sure Sportacus will think so too," Milford said.

"Yeah, definitely, you're gorgeous!" Stephanie agreed.

"Okay, then I'll be going then. I don't want him to wait!" Maddie said and went out to the park.

*****

After 3 hours of not showing up, Maddie gave up! How could he not show up? His airship was still in town, and she doesn't hear anyone here crying for help. Maybe he forgot? Maybe he regretted he asked her out for tonight? Or in general?

Disappointed, she returned home. She slowly opened the door, only finding her uncle in the same position as she left, but now watching TV instead of reading the paper.

"Oh, Madeline, you're back! So, how was your date?" he asked as he muted the TV so he could hear her.

"He didn't come," she said, finally raising her head.

"What?" Milford asked in disbelief.

"Yes. He didn't show up for our date. I don't know why. I think that maybe he regretted..." Maddie said but Milford stood up and stroked her head and face.

"No. Don't even think about it. You've been together for almost 3 years, and he even told me himself how much he loves you. Now, if you want me to talk to him about it, just tell me and I'll-" Milford said but Maddie laughed and said, "No need to worry, dad. I'll talk to him about it tomorrow and we will sort things out."

"Okay, sweetie, if that's what you want," he chuckled and she giggled as well. "Well, goodnight, dear," he kissed the top of her head. "Thanks, dad," she smiled and the two went to their bedrooms to sleep.