Library

I looked into the man's familiar eyes as I asked if it really was who I thought it was. He nodded and bit what would have been his lip if it hadn't been burnt to a crisp. So what Caroline said was true. He was alive, but he didn't look like he was coming for us all, only me. I was kind of relieved once he responded with a yes. I did not want to be held at the Lenai any longer, especially after that whole fiasco. It all happened so quick, it was hard to explain. He quickly put on his mask and grabbed my arm. I shied away, still very wary of him from the years of emotional and physical abuse, but he almost growled- it was hard to tell through the mask, and I immediately obeyed. He gripped my wrist with force and stared running.

He dragged me through the woods and the echoes of the angry crowd grew louder and more ferocious as I had guessed that their animals had joined in as well. Above, both Robert, his falcon, and Alfred were watching over us. But I'm afraid two birds couldn't hold off hundreds of people and animals. As we approached the huge form of the castle, a wave of relief washed over me, though the horde didn't relent. Where were the guards?

He pushed me through the large double-doors and shut them behind us, putting the lock in place. The incensed shouts of the rabble rang through the foyer of the castle as we caught our breath. Henry had to be dying- in a thick leather mask and large cloak. I wondered why he even wore the mask in the first place, it would make him look more rugged or built for the position than others, more so because he didn't need to find a queen anymore. The door sounded like it was about to give in, and as soon as the castle was almost shaking, battalions of guards and soldiers, weapons and even animals in their company marched down the stairs and charged through the front door.

A number of the enemy had been dealt with, but most of them had ran away. Many of the soldiers had stayed outside, and some had strut back inside, pride plastered on their faces. They congratulated each other and went back to doing whatever they were doing in various parts of the castle. Henry was breathing heavily still when he took off his mask and wrappings. His face was red and his skin still flaked in some places, but it wasn't too bad as most of the damage was on one side of his face. His features were still intact and in good condition, and like I had thought before, he had definitely gotten more than the appropriate treatment for his wounds.

"You better be thanking your luck stars I came." he said in a parental tone, facing me. He went to grab my arm, but I moved it just in time. "You didn't do anything. I didn't see you helping me with anything, in fact." I rebutted. He grumbled, looking down at his feet. "Exactly." I spat, walking up the stairs. "Don't act like this is my fault, Eliza." He said weakly. He followed me up the stairs I frowned at him as I walked faster up the flight, not knowing where I would be going once I got to the top.

"Well it isn't my fault, either! For what reason would I run away to a group of bandits, name one." I snapped, now stomping around to the other set of stairs to the third floor. As I looked up the stairway, I could have sworn I had seen a white rabbit on its hind legs, staring back at me. But once I blinked, it was gone. I dismissed it, delving back into my argument with Henry. "Well, you don't seem to take well to me, and you're as stubborn as a mule. And that's just for starters." He finished. I huffed, blowing the hair out of my face. "So since I'm stubborn and don't take well to you, I wouldn't run back to my family or village, no. I'd definitely go to some random gang? No way."

I swung open the door to the master quarters and stomped into the library, closing the door behind me. I needed to think. Henry banged on the door. "Eliza, open the damned door!" He screamed at me through the locked passageway. I ignored him as he kept striking the door and yelling and sat on the velvet armchair facing a desk. On it was a plethora of books papers, probably from one of Henry's many intellectual endeavors- papers and books containing knowledge of advanced maths and theories, all stacked in one tall, unkempt pile.

Unfortunately, I couldn't read or write too well, so I set it aside for something more my level. I stood up and eyed the library's intricacies, and the vast amount of detail and effort put into this place. It had two levels, each accommodating three lofty sets of four rows of books and files. The wooden trim on everything depicted many animals and plants, and the domed top had many windows of different shaped an sizes. I decided to work my way up, and began sifting through title after title with something simple on it.

Finally, after what had to be an hour or so of searching, I finally found a thin book with the words scored on it's worn leather surface "Spelling Book" in a neat and decorative way. Inside were all of the letters and such, and I decided to read that. Once I sat back in the comfortable chair, I could hear the faint whimpering of Henry, still repeatedly but not as forcefully. All that I could make out was a feeble, "Please?"

I sighed and opened the door, and he walked right in. "What are you doing, the Spelling Book? Really? I thought you were smarter than that." He said sniffling. I raised my brow and grimaced, and he backed away slightly. "Fine. Can I at least help you?" He asked. I slowly blinked and nodded. He lit up and beckoned me to sit in the chair with one hand, pulling a flimsy stool beside it. I sat with the most dignity I could as he plopped down and opened the book for me to the first page.

Before he started reading, he handed me a dip pen and a sheet of scrap paper. He began, and i wrote what he had said attentively.

I woke up in the middle of the night as the windows above were pitch black and the only source of light came from the moon. A blanket was wrapped around me and my pen was still on hand, ink blotting all over the page. The only legible sentence on the sheet was "Carmen went home, and did her work."

Creaking came from the second level that sounded like footsteps. My breathing hitched as I covered myself more and more with the bedding. Suddenly, with a crash, a white rabbit, the same one from before, leaped from the top floor and landed on one of the bookshelves, knocking over several miscellaneous items. It shook its head and hopped down again to the floor. I stood up as my stomach turned and sauntered to the door. How did the rabbit even get in here?

It moved quickly, out of view behind one of the many shelves. As my hands wrapped around the handle, I felt a warmth behind me prevent me from moving back any further. A chill went up my spine as a breath tickled my neck. I back and saw that it was Biming, but it wasn't at the same time- his once dark, black hair was now a silvery white, along with his eyes no longer containing pupils. I gasped and jumped away from him, dropping the blanket. I rushed behind the desk and waited. He took one step forward, then another, until he reached the other end of the desk. He eyed the paper with my writing on it, pulling it closer to him.

"'Carmen went home, and did her work'? Hmm. Not bad for a peasant girl." He said quietly, folding the paper into fourths and tucking it in his shirt. His voice was breathy and alluring, making his current form more cryptic. It was like I was under a spell, I couldn't say anything. Only stare. "Like what you see?" He breathed, easing back from the desk to show himself fully. I swallowed and shook my head, also backing away from the escritoire. He was dead to me after what had happened. I was sweating now, and I saw that my skin was deathly pale. I looked back at him to see him smiling at me a sad smile, leaning over the desk.

"Come back. It'll be better this time, we promise." He murmured desperately. "No." I whisper-yelled, "I'm never going back. I've already started something here, and my people need me." He frowned and huffed, anger visibly building up. I couldn't not look at him- his new appearance was much more interesting, and my thoughts wandered just trying to figure out just what had happened to him.

"Well we need you too. Caroline knows who the king should be, and thinks you'll like him better than Henry." He sighed. His voice sent more shivers down my spine each time he spoke. "Who?" I demanded quietly.

"Me."