Aftermath

In the midst of my triumph, I was hit with the sudden thought: What now? I had stark white hair, that of which would forever haunt me of Biming and this horrid place, there were still living followers of this pathetic nation, and a growling Turi paced menacingly around her owner.

I took a deep breath and sheathed my sword and faced the gaggle of people, speechless. Without words, the only noise being the crackling from the tall flames engulfing the area, Henry's men rounded up each and every one of the Lenai, including Caroline. I looked at them purposely with anger and disappointment. Henry leaned next to me and said quietly, "I'll take care of them, you lead the rest of the army back to the palace and wait until I get back." Without hesitation, he stood upright and strode authoritatively to the large group of men.

A much smaller group, mainly comprised of snipers and those of young age, waited behind me like children waiting for their mother. I made my way to the front of them and made my way towards the gate. None of them spoke as we walked, only cleared their throats every once and a while. Once we made it, I knocked on the door and waited. One of the old snipers opened the door with an almost pitying look in his eyes.

Keeping as composed as possible, feeling my cheeks rush with blood, I walked up stairs and waited. It was nearly morning when I was finally called to the foyer by one of the guards. Laying on the stone floor was an enraged Caroline chained to a muzzled Turi. Both of whom looked exhausted.

"Ah, yes, we just wanted your opinion on something." Said another guard, gesturing to Henry to continue his thought. He looked down at Caroline angrily and spoke. "We need to decide what to do with her." He said, sneering. He looked up and went on. "See, her dragon animal would make a powerful asset, but she is an enemy of us. If we kill her, we kill her dragon."

I looked at Caroline, who scowled directly at me as I thought. I went back and forth between power and dignity, and eventually chose power- to keep the dragon. "She will be a prisoner, and the wyvern will stay as infantry." Henry and his men nodded in agreement, some more wholehearted than others, but they agreed nonetheless.

••••

Weeks passed, then a month. I was dressed by a maid this morning, which was surprising, since I had always dressed myself. What was also weird was the laciness and how incredibly intricate and white it was. She also decided to dress me at around noon. When I finally asked why, she laughed lightly and grabbed me gloves hand and pulled me downstairs, into the foyer, then outside.

I was greeted with a red carpet covered in pink rose petals, people seated on both sides. I quickly became overwhelmed as my brain finally figured out what was happening. Next to me was my father, work beaten and almost dingy, dressed in impeccable garb. It reminded me of a dream, as I haven't seen him in a month or two.

He locked his arm around mine and began to walk me up the aisle as I shook tremendously. It felt like we were going in slow motion as we finally reached Henry and the pastor. My eyes blurred as words were said and a ring was slipped on my finger. Everything sounded like it was underwater. Out of nowhere, I heard a happy, "Yes." As it seemed like I was fading back into reality, everyone was staring at me with anticipation. I clumsily stuttered a, "Y-yes."

Without hesitation, Henry wrapped his arms around my waist tenderly, and just as my eyes met his, he closed them and pulled my lips onto his. He pulled away not two seconds later, his face displaying the immense happiness on his face. I couldn't help but smile either. Something in that moment just felt... right.

The party went smoothly, with many higher class nobles congratulating me and other strangers scrambling over each other to get to shake my hand or bow. Henry didn't leave my side all day, and the festivities lasted until the sun was past down. The last person left, and we were alone- he was intoxicated and bubbly, yet obviously tired. I lead him up into our room and guided him to bed. He fell asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow.

I too went to bed, only much later due to the lights and other things lingering in my mind that I seemed to forget the second I went to another topic.

We woke up the next morning, Henry much later than me. I decided to begin reading again, as it was a useful skill to have, especially being queen and all. I picked out a slightly thick book on dogs, and sat on the chair.

I couldn't focus for some reason though- it was like I was having too many thoughts at once. Once the attempt to read began to grow strenuous and tiresome, I closed the book and set it down, closing my eyes. I leaned back and took a deep breath.

Somewhere, in the depths of my head, I heard a maniacal chuckle, followed by a deep, yearning sigh. I looked around, but saw no one. It was coming from my mind. "Long time, no see, Eliza." Biming said smugly.