Athenia's Choice: Chapter Twenty-Seven

Chapter Twenty-Seven

It was Cordelia that found is Buseabee Cottage. We were all dressed to the nines in our expensive new clothes. I was looking very glamorous in a blonde wig, dusting powder on my cheeks and an emerald green crinoline dress. I was somewhat worried about the cost of our attire when Cordelia strayed into a cottage’s garden with cherries growing on the trees. She reached up to pick a bunch in her soft pearly pink kid gloves.

“Cordy, you shouldn’t steal,” I said anxiously. The door of the cottage opened. An elderly woman stooped out, resting against a stick.

“Please, we mean no harm,” Cordelia cried, “We love your cottage!”

“Ah, yes, Buseabee has charmed many a generation,” the woman laughed, “My French-born parents named the cottage, so that is why it has an unusual name.”

“Oh but it suits the splendours here,” I assured her, admiring the radiant flowers, cherries, creeping ivy.

“Well come on you two, we haven’t got all day to find lodgings,” Charles sighed. I glared at him, still annoyed from earlier.

“Lodgings?” The lady’s wrinkled face lit up, “Oh do, do come stay with me!”

Nancy LeBoudin settled us into the spare bedroom, which belonged to her daughter who currently reclined in Norfolk. We dismantled some parts of the crib to make a bed for Cordelia, seeing as she was quite small. Our belongings fitted neatly into the oak-wood drawers.

“This is a fairytale cottage,” Cordelia breathed in awe. We peered through the windows.

“Oh goodness,” she gasped again as we looked on Camberwell Park, “We must hasten there at once- look how pretty it is!”

With Nancy’s permission, we walked her dog Rufus in the park full of blossom trees. We collected twigs for Rufus to fetch as we walked past a dewy pond.

“Why hello, good morning my dear. I have to admit I have not ever seen you here on my daily amble,” a young girl, perhaps a couple of years older than me, said. I turned around to face her properly.

“Oh, the reason being so is I have just moved to this area,” I answered, desperately hoping I sounded reasonably aristocratic.

“Well, well, I am very pleased to be acquainted with you. I hope Camberwell is suitable living for you. My name is Isabella Langridge, may I familiarize myself with yours?” Before I could answer, Cordelia butted in.

“I’m Cordelia, that’s Elizabeth, Elizabeth Greengage.”

“My cousin,” I smiled, patting her head.

“Well it is very nice to meet you both. Do please, Elizabeth, be company at my daily afternoon tea party. I want to make you welcome here in Camberwell.” Part of me wanted to dive into Isabella’s world; the other was unsure and wary. After all, she was a stranger. It was my choice.

“Oh do then, I shall see you later,” I accepted as she recited her address.

When I told Charles of my invite, he merely laughed.

“Making fancy friends already, eh?”

“Isabella is very kind,” I said pointedly.

“Well enjoy your little party. I am sorry to say those social events bore me greatly so I won’t be accompanying you.”

“No matter,” I said airily, for I wasn’t thinking of taking him along with me anyway after the way he had behaved earlier!

Isabella’s home was squashed neatly between rows of three-storey terrace houses. I left my parasol in the porch and knocked upon the door. It was opened and immediately chatter buzzed into my ears.

“Why are there so many people here?” I asked as Isabella greeted me.

“Why, they’re all here for my tea party,” Isabella laughed as if I were silly. I had been expecting a cosy get-together, not a congested room full of unknown faces! How could I impress and convince all of them?

Isabella clapped her hands to draw attention to her announcing my new coming to Camberwell. I shook many hands and received many comments. We all sat down to a table laden with cakes, scones and new bread and honey.

My heart was racing all the way through. Robert Sumner, to my left, was very chatty and somewhat flirtatious! He was of course, quite handsome but my eyes remained only for Charles, for my anger at him had dissipated.

“So, do you fare well in Camberwell?” I questioned Robert.

“Oh yes, even more well now you’re around, missus!” I blushed furiously. I struggled to find something else to say, for his behaviour was surely improper?

“You must come to Isabella’s parties a lot?” I guessed.

“Oh my sister Betsy is a particular friend of the hostess.” I nodded along, sipping more tea.

“Do come with me outside, for I need a smoke on my pipe.” I nodded again, feeling it impolite to not accept and quite glad to get away from the noisy, crammed room of gossipmongers. We excused ourselves from the table to go outside.

I looked at Robert. Where was his pipe? Then suddenly he grabbed my waist and began kissing me! My eyes went as round as plates. He pulled me further in and I had no choice but to kiss back.

“What are you doing? You can’t make moves like that on a young lady!” I gasped, wiping my mouth, reeling backwards.

“Why, I thought you had affections for me,” Robert cried.

“You?” I laughed, head still swimming, “No!”  Then I grabbed my parasol and strode away from him, in state of shock and amusement. Some choices we make lead to rather unexpected moments!