Packing

As I continue to search I find some more medical supplies in the downstairs bathroom, two hunting knives in Zeke’s dad’s office and his giant compound bow— he liked to hunt in the summer. While still in his dad’s office I open his closet to find a large hunting suit. I have only seen him wear it a few times, but the thing is water proof, thickly insulated, has a million pockets, and is super comfy. It also already has the boots attached to the legs. Last summer he let me try it on, and after a few seconds of adjusting the straps it fit almost perfectly.

That year Zeke got one of his own for his birthday, so they could go hunting together. I got to go too one of the times just to watch, and Zeke was actually really good at it.

Shaking away the memory I grab the suit from the closet and his game bag right behind it. I’ll have to remind Zeke to grab his as well. After searching through the rest of his office I find a box of matches, a few lighters, three flashlights, a backpack, and some batteries throughout the various drawers.

I hope we have enough time to head back to my house. My iPod's there, and if I'm going to be fighting some undead, I'm gonna need a theme song. I’d feel a whole lot better killing biters if it felt more like a game. Also, I have to get some other things like clothes, food for Thunder, my dad’s shotgun— my shotgun now, and some other... stuff that I know I will definitely need.

When I finish my sweep of the house, I have a nice supply of pretty much all of the things we will need to survive. Going back to the kitchen I walk in just as Zeke puts his notebook down on the table and leans back in his chair with a sigh. There are several piles of food stacked on the table and the floor, all of them separated into different food groups and what they are packaged in.

“Well, I'd say we have enough to last us a while. That is if we ration it wisely and we don't get robbed by other survivors," Zeke says. "The thing is, though, how are we going to get it all out. We won't be able to carry all this,” he implies, pointing to all of the food for emphases.

A sly smile creeps up on my face. “From what I can tell the biters don’t drive. I'm sure they won't mind us borrowing their car, or even a truck," I say, an evil glint in my eyes.

“We don't know how to drive, though," Zeke replies looking worried.

“Well, now seems like a good time to learn," I throw back, smiling even bigger. “And I have driven around the driveway.”

“Oh, God." He wipes his hands down his face.

“No, I prefer Tavia," I say laughing.

“Look at you. The house is surrounded by… did you call them biters, and you're making jokes?"

I only laugh at that. Zeke tries to keep a straight face but ends up laughing with me instead.

“Hey, might as well make the best of it,” I reply, still laughing. “Who knows how long we’re going to make it.”

Zeke stops laughing but still has a smile plastered on his face and says, “When this apocalypse is over we’re going to go down in history under the category ‘Dumb Teenagers that Tried to Drive’, and they’re going to have a picture of our truck flipped over in some ditch.”

“Whatever!” I say pushing his shoulder, almost making him fall backwards in his chair. “I’m sure it’s not that hard. Plus, I never said we have to drive fast.”

“Okay, but if we die, I’m going to kill you.”

“Yeah.” The joking attitude I just had disappearing. “We could do that, too. I mean, since we come back and all.”

A grim look wipes away all traces of humor from Zeke’s face, and for a second I think I might have taken it too far. Thankfully he slaps a smile back on his face and asks, “So what all did you find?”