S1 E4 - Family Values

Beth watched from outside the room her mother, Helen Cutter sat. The others had gone out on a call but she couldn't bring herself to go. She had to know what the hell was going on but she also really didn't want to know and it was killing her.

"Presumably there are still laws against kidnapping?" Helen asked and Lester smirked.

"Hmm. Though, officially, you're dead. We can't have kidnapped someone who doesn't actually exist, can we? The only way you can get out of here is by telling us everything you know about the anomalies."

"I'll tell you one thing, you're the spitting image of a utahraptor I once met in the Jurassic."

"I'll take that as a refusal to co-operate, shall I?"

"I'll cooperate if you let me speak to my daughter alone - I know she's stood outside."

Beth froze. She wanted answers - that's all she's wanted for eight years but now she was this close she wasn't so sure. Her Dad was right, Helen's disappearance had taken it's toll on her and she wasn't sure she was ready to let Helen back in but this wasn't about her. This was about the anomalies and finding out what they needed to know. Beth took a deep breath and walked in.

Claudia and Lester instantly turned around.

"You shouldn't be in here." Claudia told Beth.

"Maybe not but it's the only way you're going to get any answers."

Lester nodded and led Claudia out of the room.

"So..." Helen said once her and Beth were alone. "How have you been?" Beth didn't respond, she just kept pacing the room. "So you'll talk to them and not me?"

"I have nothing to say to you. You wanna talk to me, go ahead." Eventually, after calming her nerves enough, Beth took a seat opposite Helen.

"You know Elizabeth, I never wanted this to happen. I was going to come back; I wanted you to come with me." Beth stayed silent. She didn't know what to say - she never did when it came to Helen anymore. "I looked in on you and Nick a few times...after the initial shock of my disappearance wore off you two looked so happy. I didn't want to destroy what you two had created so I stayed away."

"Then keep it that way." Beth finally said, standing up and heading for the door.

"Elizabeth..." Beth sighed, turning around to face Helen. "I want to make this right." Beth stared a moment longer before walking towards the door. "I want you to come with me!"

"She's all yours!" Beth muttered to Claudia and Lester before heading to Nick's office.

In the same room as before, Lester and Claudia were still interrogating Helen.

"Well, it turns out it was an illegally imported pet. Escaped from the upstairs flat and it's been living in the drains." Claudia said.

"Did you know it was a false alarm?" Lester asked. "You told your husband you knew how to find the anomalies."

"Whatever I said to Nick is between me and him."

"Prior knowledge of anomaly locations would be priceless. If you can give us that information, it's your absolute duty as a citizen to do so."

"But as you pointed out, I don't even exist, so how can I be a citizen?"

"You know, I have the power to make your life extremely unpleasant." Helen ignored Lester and turned to Claudia.

"How can you bear to work with this man?"

"At the end of the day this is about something very simple. Saving lives. Now, you can do that. So if you know anything at all, just tell us." Claudia said.