Chapter Three

Jack and McKinnley rode in his old beat up pick up truck after the all state football game. As car horns blared and streamers blew in the wind they made their way to the local eatery for a victory celebration. His arm draped across her shoulders and she leaned into his side as he drove through town, their song blare over the radio speakers.

He smelled of sweat at dirt from the torn up football field but McKinnley didn't care one bit. That distinctive scent had been registered in her memory bank for a long time. He was the all star county quarterback, and several colleges were scouting for him already. McKinnley was worried that Jack would either break up after getting into college or go ahead and spare the agony and call it quits now.

"Mac, you've been quite and staring off into the distance for awhile now. What are you thinking about I know something is on your mind" Jack inquired as he stroked her arm with his thumb.

"It's nothing really" McKinnley hesitated before completing the statement. "I've been thinking, your probably going to get a full ride scholarship to one of the big name universities. And I just, I'm not sure where I fit in, what if we don't get in to the same college." she exclaimed sheepishly.

"I don't understand. What do you mean you don't know where you fit in?"

"I mean I'm sure your going to go and become this big head honcho quarterback in college. I uh just don't want to cramp your style."

Jack pulled up to the eatery as other teammates and cheerleaders were heading inside. Jack turned off the truck and McKinnley went to scoot across the seat to get out but Jack grabbed her hand to stop her.

"Cramp my style, why would I think your cramping my style?"

"Oh come on Jack, how often do you see high school relationships last through college. Either they break up with in the first semester of college or they go ahead and "go on a break" before summer hits" McKinnley made air quotes with her free hand.

"Mac we've been together a long time, hell we've known each other our whole lives. I'm shocked that you would think that I could or would just let you go. If anything I would be afraid that you would let me go."

McKinnley just stared at him dumbfounded at his statement, she knew deep down that he cared for her. But she didn't know that he was actually afraid that she would leave him.

"Jack I would never leave you, I love you. Even if we go to different colleges we'll make it work"

"I'll go where you go" Jack confessed as he kissed McKinnley's lips softly. They got out of the truck and walked into the eatery hand in hand.

McKinnley woke up from her dream clutching the pillow next to her, a light sweat covered her soft body. The sun was barely up as she threw the blankets off in hopes to get cooler air. Her bare feet touched the wooden floor as she patted her way to the bathroom. She gently closed the other door leading to Ashlyn's room, she then splashed cool water on her face in hopes to rid her of the dream. Ever since Jack's death she has been having dreams of her and him together. Some were fond memories and some we're not so memorable.

She decided she needed to clear her head and this was a good time as any to go see old Jasper the white a brown spotted Appaloosa. She put on a pair of blue jeans and a light green shirt put her hair up into a ponytail and then put a baseball hat on. She pulled on her old brown coy boy boots she had as long as she could remember. The sun was just starting to peek over the tops of the mountains as she entered the barn. McKinnley left open the barn door so that some light could come in, as she made her way to Jasper's pin in the back of the large barn. The familiar scent of hay, horse, and manure filled McKinnley's nose as a snort could be heard coming from Jasper's stall at the back of the barn.