Chapter Eight

Mckinnley felt a odd presents around her, as if someone was watching her. she slowly opened her eyes to peek at what was making her feel this way. When a pair of big chocolate eyes stared back at her, only inches from her own face. Mckinnley jerked away until her eyes could properly adjust, she heard Ashlyn briefly chuckle.

"Ashlyn, what you doing baby girl?" Mckinnley sighed as she rubbed her face with her hands trying to wake herself.

"Well I helped Mr. Ricky with getting the eggs from the chickens, then I helped Mr. Chase feed the cows, then I helped grandma with making deviled eggs and cookies." Ashlyn beamed with excitement, Mckinnley could see the proudness of her accomplishments radiate off her daughter. Suddenly worriment came over Mckinnley, how long had she been asleep and then guilt set in on how everyone had to watch Ashlyn as she slept.

"Wow you did do a lot and I'm very proud of you baby girl. I see not only did you help make the cookies but it looks like you helped eat some too?" Mckinnley teased as she wiped a smudge of chocolate from her daughter's face. After folding up the quilt and replacing it on the back of the couch, Mckinnley did feel more rested after her nap.

"Mommy, what were you dreaming about?" Ashlyn asked as they made their way to the kitchen.

"Why do you ask baby girl?"

"Because you were smiling, you looked very happy, I liked it." Ashlyn smiled up at Mckinnley and it melted her heart a little. Mckinnley thought about what she had dreamt about and then it came to her. Chase and her were having a picnic in the field as she watched Ashlyn chasing butterflies, her pigtails bouncing around as she would run and jump trying desperately to catch them. Chase's arms were wrapped around her as she sat in between his legs, they sat and chatted about everything, their hopes and dreams and even fears. Her red hair gently blew in the breeze, the sun was starting to get in her eyes and before she even realized Chase and took off his cowboy had and placed it on her head blocking her eyes from the sun. Mckinnley realized that even now thinking about the dream it made her smile.

"Well good afternoon sleeping beauty did you have a nice rest?" June asked as she was piping the egg yoke mixture back in to eggs. Mckinnley came over and began to sprinkling paprika on the finished ones.

"How long was I asleep? I feel bad not helping you, I wish you would have woken me up."

"Nonsense dear, you needed your rest with you not sleeping well since you got here. And I'm perfectly capable of whipping up a entire cookout menu on my own. Chase has been a big help."

"Is there anything that I can help you with?"

"Well, you can I got melon, cantaloupe, and other berries that need to be cut up. Why don't you take them out on the back porch and cut them up for me. We'll start placing the food on the table, Chase is out there grilling the meat and Frank is using the smoker for the chicken and bar b que."

Mckinnley's mouth watered at the thought of Frank's famous bar b que, it was widely popular throughout the counties. She gathered all the fruits she could carry and had Ashlyn help carry some bowls too.  The smell from the smoker was thick in the air and Mckinnley couldn't wait till she could sink her teeth into some ribs.

Slicing the watermelons and other fruits, out of the corner of her eye Mckinnley watched as Ashlyn kept swiping blueberries and strawberries. Shoving them in her mouth and juice spilling over her lips and fingers.

"Ashlyn stop eating all the berries please. Otherwise there won't be any left for other people and your tummy will start to hurt." Mckinnley handed her a napkin to wipe her mouth. Chase walked up behind Mckinnley and reached a long arm around her to grab a plumb peach that hadn't been cut. He smiled down at Mckinnley and she returned the smile with her own, he gently squeezed her hip as he stepped away.