Chapter Twelve - Concealing/Revealing

When I felt tired and asked where the rooms were, Dan offered to walk me. He said he was tired too.

-That was fun. - He said casually as we walked.

-Yes, definitely. - I answered and tripped on a rock.

He took my arm to help me not fall and we both laughed.

-Oops, too much beer. - I said.

When we got to the room he asked me if I felt ok.

-Of course I do, come on!

-Sorry, I tend to be overprotective. - He said grimacing.

-Well I don't need protection. - I said winking.

-I know that perfectly well. - He said, sounding a little displeased. - You are so tough, so confident, like everyone else is just standing in your way.

-Woah, wait... what? No. I just... I'm sorry, I didn't mean to say it like that...

-Oh it's not just today, it's your whole attitude. Always.

I sighed as I opened the door.

-I don't know what's wrong with me. - I said, surprising even myself. He frowned. - I hate to be like this, I am actually self-conscious and generally scared of everything, guess I hide in a shell of false arrogance... I have always been like this, my pride or something...

Dan looked at me, not sure what to say, he then smiled and said:

-I am scared most of the time, too, but I guess my character isn't strong enough to hide it like you do. I mean, you do a brilliant job hiding you're scared...

I bit my lips and said, as if to myself:

-I guess someday I'll have to let someone take care of me, you know...

-Yes, you definitely should. - He said staring into my eyes. He then seemed to feel awkward and ran his hand through his neck. He always did this when he felt nervous, I had noticed.

-OK... - I said very slowly. - Thanks for walking me. Going to bed now.

-Yes, of course, I'll leave you alone... I uhm...

Before he continued talking, I approached and hugged him. Since he's a lot taller than me, it was more like I was hanging from his neck, laying my face on his shoulder. He immediately hugged me back and we stood like that for some seconds. My psychologist friend always told me hugging was an excellent relaxation exercise, and it damn sure seemed like Dan and I could use some relaxing. When we separated, he had a huge smile, and so did I.

-Good night, Dan. - I said.

-Night Annie. - He replied and stood there til I closed the door.

Wow, I really liked this dude.

The next day, I was a little hangover and, therefore, hungry. I went to the communal dining room and had some cereal in the gazebo. I went to get a big bottle of water and sat, almost laid on a chair, staring at the sea. On the other side of all that water was my home, my parents.... sometimes I missed them...

The guys arrived then and Woody told me they were going for a swim before they went back to the city. Will, in an uncanny act of kindness, asked me to join them. I could not refuse, so I went back to my room to have a quick shower and put on my swimming suit.

I then messaged Dan:

-Come for me when you're heading there please.

-Sure thing. - He replied immediately. 

I climbed on the bed again and began nodding off. After a while, I heard a knock on the door. I went to open and saw Dan. He was shirtless, just with some black shorts on.

-Should we go? - He asked as I stared at him. I had never seen him without a shirt. He was thin, but his torso looked honestly firm and tempting.

-You are so white. - I said laughing to conceal the desire in my eyes. He laughed too.

-Yeah, I am sorry my skin is not a cute tint of olive like yours, OK?

He was also checking me out with a mischievous spark in his eyes.

-Just let me grab a towel... - I said and I could feel his stare follow me.

When I came back, he was looking at himself in the mirror, yawning and scratching his beard. I stood next to him and grabbed him by the waist, with my belly against his, looking at the mirror too.

-Look, I am pale, too. - I teased.

-Yeah, not as much as me... - he answered, nervously. He seemed to be having a tough time controlling himself with my body so close to him, so I stepped back and smiled.

-Let's go...

It took him a second to react, nod and start walking behind me. 

That day, the guys and I had a wonderful time together at the beach and driving back to London. Dan and I kept looking at each other surreptitiously, but didn't so much as touch each other anymore.