6. Music and Smiles

Russia felt the nation in his arms stir. He knew the other wouldn't awaken.

In front of his very eyes, he was watching the Swede's childhood, filled with heartbreak and loneliness.

He could feel the darkness radiating off the other, much like the cold that came off of him.

The cold had always been there for him, however. Biting at that hole in his chest where his heart was just barely hanging on, waiting for someone to stitch it back up and heal it with love and kindness.

Sweden's mind went blank as Russia thought this, and with a strange feeling, he decided to get risky.

Why does the darkness come off you? He thought, urging the thought towards the Swede.

The s'me re'son the cold comes off you, I s'ppose.

Russia jumped at the new voice, becoming even more weirded out by the fact that the Swede had not awoken to speak to him like that, and how soft his voice had been. The other was not speaking to him harshly, like he normally would.

You can feel the cold too?

Yes.

Russia's childish smile became soft, before completely dissapearing at the next sentence.

Tell me, why is there ice over your heart?

Russia sighed, causing odd looks from America and Liechtenstein.

He thought back to when he first felt true heartbreak. It was when he was merely just grown out of the chibi stage. He and his sisters watched feebley as their lives were torn down around them. Because what else could they do? They were just children.

They were all just children.

The same reason you wear the mask the Darkness gave you.

He felt Sweden stir again, so he stopped, helping the male onto his feet.

-----

Lithuania worriedly noticed that neither Switzerland nor Japan had spoken since they had left their cells.

A buzzing noise was all he heard. The buzzing of his own thoughts.

All he could wonder was what had happened to the harsh, scary Switzerland he saw at every meeting? The one who threatened to shoot down everyone who even spoke to Liechtenstein?

His thoughts stopped.

Threatened.

Threatened.

He thought back to how the Swiss spoke to him when he hadn't known who he was.

Timidly. Like he was nervous.

Could it be possible...?

That the Swiss man was merely scared of them?

"Hey, Cheese bastard, I asked you a question."

"Hey, Italian, I ignored you."

Romano glared over his shoulder at the Swiss, who was in turn giving him a deadpan look.

Lithuania leaned forward slightly, interested in their conversation.

"I asked why you're being so quiet."

"Because there is really nothing to say, is there Lovino?"

Iceland, Lithuania, and Romano all froze in their place as Switzerland kept walking, and Lithuania noted that he was holding his arm.