Chapter IV

The next morning Matt woke up and noticed Allen wasn't beside him. Matt quickly jumped out of bed and hurriedly walked down the narrow hallway.
"Allen?" No response.
"Oliver?" Still no response.
"Dad?" After moments of silence Matt began to really worry. He stopped in front of Oliver and Francois' bedroom and slowly opened the door. Instead he found three different caskets. Matt hesitantly walked over to them.

         Each one looked different but the shapes were the same. The one on the far left was light blue and had a image of a pink cupcake with a cherry on the top. The middle casket was dark blue with a cigarette and a wine bottle. The last casket was red and the image was a wooden baseball bat that had nails though it.

         Matt carefully traced the image of each picture when reality struck him. He jerked his hand away and stepped back from the caskets.

"No." Matt shook his head.
"No." Tears fell from his eyes.
"No!" Matt backed up until his back pressed against something cold. He spun around and saw another casket. This time it was laying on its backboard and open rather than closed like he other three. Matt backed up, wiped his tears, and looked into the open casket. He gasped and more years fell.
         A woman lay on the beautifully made casket. She had long dirty blonde hair that rested on her shoulders. Her face was round and covered with freckles, her lips ruby red. She wore a long, beautiful, white dress but no shoes. Her hands were gently folded together on top of her chest.

       Matt touched her hands, they were as cold as ice. Suddenly she opened her eyes and Matt jumped back.  Her eyes were black and hollow looking, like two small black voids. The woman stood up, stepped out of the casket, and Matt fell backwards. She smiled sinisterly and Matt shook his head.

"Mom, I'm so sorry." Matt said to her as he trembled. She frowned and have a ghastly cry. She then charged at Matt and he closed his eyes tightly, not making any move to escape. Just before she touched him she disappeared.

       When Matt opened his eyes he realized he was in his and Allen's bedroom. Matt glanced out the window and he saw it was bright out. The sun was reflecting off the snow. He made no movement to get off the bed for fear of being in another dream. The doorknob squeaked as it was being turned, Matt stared in hope and fear. Allen poked his head in the room and smiled at Matt. "Good morning. You've been asleep a long time."

       Matt immediately got up and ran toward Allen, bringing him into a tight hug.
"Matt. Yo-you're kinda crushing me."

    Matt quickly let go and grabbed Allen's face as if he was inspecting him. Allen's smile quickly faded and he placed his hands over Matt's.
"Matt? Are you okay? Your face is sweaty and red."

Matt nodded and rubbed his face. "Yeah. Yeah, I'm fine. Just a nightmare." 

    Allen's eyes softened and he held Matt's hand, leading him to the kitchen.

"I have the perfect cure do that. Oliver would always make me a special cupcake."

"What's in it?"

Allen stopped walking and Matt tilted his head. He walked in front of Allen and stared down at him.

"What's wrong Allen?"

Allen looked up at Matt and smiled nervously.
"Uh. I don't know how to make the special cupcake. I've never actually made one before."

Matt laughed and gabbed Allen's hand. He started walking down the hallway when he noticed Allen's expression changed. Allen looked worried all of a sudden, like he was trying to hide something. Allen saw Matt was looking at him and he placed a smile on his worried face. Matt looked ahead and continued to walk to the kitchen.