42. The Luckiest

(One month later)

As expected, every single magazine and social media account ate up our story.

"Are they back together? [F/N] [L/N]  and Yuri Plisetsky seen hand-in-hand in New York."

"[F/N] [L/N] and Yuri Plisetsky are back together!"

"Yuri Plisetsky celebrates a white Russian Christmas in Moscow with girlfriend  [F/N] [L/N]. Pictured, below, with a friend, walking a dog two days before."

"Exclusive interview with Yuri Plisetsky; he talks the Olympics and romance with [F/N] [L/N]."

"[F/N] [L/N] is back in New York for Cinderella rehearsals, days before her new movie is set to be released globally. Meanwhile, her boyfriend Yuri Plisetsky is seen training hard in Moscow with the Russian Olympic Team."

That month was hectic, full of interviews, promotions, photoshoots, and exhausting practices. By the time I was flown back to Russia, I hadn't seen Yuri since spending Christmas with him at the beginning of January, and it was now the second of February. He'd be flying out to begin training for the Olympics next week, right after he did one thing with me.

"[F/N] [L/N] and boyfriend Yuri Plisetsky arrive at the premiere of her new movie, "Distraction" in Moscow, a week before Yuri is set to compete in the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyongchang, South Korea, opening on the 9th of February. All eyes were on the couple in this star-studded event, so much so, that the absence of Alec Popovich went un-noticed by many.

The couple, photographed below, dated over the summer last year, but broke up after a fight between Yuri and Alec left Yuri in hospital and Alec in jail. But, after re-connecting earlier this year, the two teenagers are more in love than ever.

[F/N] [L/N] looked stunning in a red Valentino dress. Pictured above with her co-stars.

 "Distraction" is up for three Oscars; Best Director, Best Screenplay, and Best Writing, and numerous Golden Globes including Best Actress in a Leading Role. It hits cinemas worldwide on the 3rd of February.

* * *

After getting lost in the maze of promotions and interviews, he was there at the end.

The day before I was leaving for Europe, I visited his house, and we both spent the day inside with his grandfather, not a camera to be seen.

We were wrapped up on the sofa, at lunchtime, when he kissed my head and whispered;

"I need to show you something."

A few minutes later, the two of us were in an ice rink, alone.

I stood on the side watching him in the middle of the rink.

"I changed my free skate routine. I think you should be the first one to see it. The day you left after filming, you told me I was a good person. Nobody's ever said that to me before and meant it. Not since, well, not since my mother..."

I nodded, our eyes glued on each other.

"Up until that point I was just gonna use the same choreography and song from the G.P.F, but they just haven't felt right. So I made this for you."

Then the music came on and my heart stopped. "The Luckiest" by Ben Folds.

His eyes were closed. It was beautiful. My eyes were fixed on him as he danced.

The words were suddenly so much more important now, than they ever were. For the both of us. Yuri was no longer the monster he thought he was. That song was in the past, instead he's the happiest, luckiest guy in the world. Only through his skating could he ever show me that.

And in a wide sea of eyes, I see one pair that I recognise.
And I know; that I am, I am, I am the luckiest.

Once he finished, and made his way back over to me, I threw my arms around him.

"I love it," I muttered, and kissed him.

After a minute or so, I heard somebody walk through the door.

"Sorry, umm, Yuri, we have to go."

We both still had our arms around each other. It was one of his team-mates, smiling awkwardly.

"Oh, right," Yuri muttered. "We have a team meeting, I forgot."

"Oh, that's fine," I pulled away. "I have to go pack anyway,

"Okay. Umm, gimme one second," he said, turning back to me.

"I'll see you at the airport," I said.

"Okay. Five, yeah?"

"Yes. Oh, Yuri," I called as he walked away to join his team mate. "I think you can win with that routine."

He nodded. "Thanks. I love you."

"Love you too," I smiled.

Once he left, I brought out my phone and called Will.

"Hey, yeah, I'm on my way back."

* * *

"I'll see you soon."

I nodded. We were both still holding hands. "Good luck next week," I told him. "I really wish I could be there. You'll do so well."

"Thanks. Have a great time. I know you'll be incredible."

"[F/N]. We need to go," Will called from the other side of the room, just as the boarding call for London was announced.

"Alright," I muttered, and we kissed  (ignoring the camera flashes). "I love you."

"I love you too," I answered, with absolute reassurance in my words.

* * *
(Two weeks later)

"We are live at the Gangneung Ice Arena, and Yuri Plisetsky is about to step on the ice for the second time, for his Free Skate. He's currently in second place following the Short Program; but let's see, with his new routine, if he can go one step further."

"Will! We're not gonna make it!" I ran through the train station, Will frantically trying to keep up.

"[F/N]! Slow down! We just spent 10 hours on a plane! And my jet lag's kicking in!"

"We'd get there a load faster if you stopped moaning!"

"Do you even know where to go?!"

"This way!"

I stopped hesitantly as the ice rink came into sight. There were bodyguards at the door, and I had no ticket.

"Umm, Will? What now?" I asked once he caught up.

"Right, well, oh." He started pushing me quickly away from where loads of photographers were standing outside on the other side of the road.

"It's [F/N][L/N]!" Somebody yelled. I smirked.

"So much for being a surprise," I muttered. Thankfully though, a bodyguard heard my name, and dissapeared momentarily before returning again, this time with somebody following him.

"[F/N]!" Lilia stood there, waving, and signalling us to come over.

"Yuri had us save you a spot in case you showed up!" She hugged me as I ran forward. "Come on, he's about to start!"

We were rushed into the huge building, to the area closest to the rink, where the contestants and coaches were, and all eyes were on Yuri in the ice.

The music started, and I was taken to stand right in the front. Yakov grinned as I approched.

"What an amazing surprise."

"I wouldn't have missed this for the world."

Yuri's eyes were closed. Then the music started and he was transported to his own universe, only him and the routine.

It was only at the last note, when he did his final pose, that his eyes turned to us, and he saw me.

Even with the enormous roar of the audience, it was as though we were the only two people in the room, and at that moment I knew I was the luckiest person there.

THE END