chapter 15

"Hello?" he answered.

"Hey! Can I talk to Hayley and Ashton?" i asked my step-dad.

"Sure! Just a minute!" I heard footsteps and assumed he was walking upstairs to the playroom.

David was like my real father. I could talk to him about anything and he wouldn't judge me. It was nice to have him throughout my highschool years.

"So how has college been so far?" he asked, creating small talk as he was making his way up the stairs.

"Pretty good! I just finished my first week of classes and I'm just now getting settled into my new dorm!"

"Oh! I don't mean to sound overly protective, but how was living with a boy? He better have been respectful."

David was always protective of me, especially around boys because he didn't want me to end up with a boy like my father.

"He was! Can I tell you something?"

He spoke slowly, "Yes?"

"The boy I was rooming with, we, well. We are seeing each other."

"Is he good to you?"

"Of course!"

"Have you been making good decisions with him?"

"Yes!"

"Then I approve. Here is Hayley," he spoke and I heard rustling on the other line. That's what I loved about my step-dad. he was easy to talk to and I knew that I could tell him anything I want to.

"HELLO?" I heard Hayley's tiny voice strain on the other end.

"Hayley!"

"Skye! Where have you been?"

"Do you remember when I told you that I had to go to a special school to get smarter?" I asked her.

"Yup!"

"I'm there! So how has preschool been?" She and Ashton just started preschool two weeks ago. Sadly, I was here so I couldn't be there to see them off on their first day.

"It was good! I painted a picture of you! And mommy hung it up on the fridge!" she sounded so excited.

"Did you really? I'm so proud of you!"

"Thanks sissy! Do you wanna talk to Ashy?"

"Sure! I love you Hayley!" I made a kissy noise into the phone and she giggled.

"Love you too sissy!" she handed the phone to Ashton and he greeted me with a big hello.

"SISSY! Guess what?"

"What Ash?"

"I miss you a lot!" he was precious.

"I miss you too bubba!"

"Why can't you be home?" I don't think the twins really understood the whole concept of 'college'.

"Because I am at a fancy school!"

"Oh, okay! I love you sissy!" he voiced.

"I love you so much Ashton!" I couldn't help but smile. Ashton handed the phone back to David.

"Thanks for calling, Skye! The twins have been missing you a lot lately" my step-dad said into the receiver.

"Love you David! Bye!"

"Love you too sweetie!"

I hung up and squealed with excitement.

"Who was that?" Perrie yelled from her desk.