Bistro

A new day, a new customer. That's what you said to yourself as you tucked your shirt in your pants. You looked up and down in the mirror, admiring yourself in the work attire you have to wear every single day, yet you need get tired of it: a casual white shirt with the bistro's logo on it, jeans and black converse. The kitchen was busy as always, as you tiptoed your way across, hearing utensils and dishes clanging, the sizzle of bacon as it hit the hot pan, people chattering all around and yelling orders. This was a normal day at the bistro: it's famous for its brunches and it's secluded location.

"Come over here!" You heard your name being called on the seating area, so you rushed towards it.

You seated a couple with an adorable baby. He giggled and made cute sounds and you helped his mother put him in the high chair.

"How old is he?"
" 1 year old." The father answered, as the baby was playing with his hands. You kindly smiled at them, took their order and walked to the kitchen.

"Isn't the baby so cute?" Your coworker said, while looking at the baby from afar and making faces at him.
"He sure is, heheh..." You awkwardly said, trying to sound as convincing as possible. For some reason, you don't like babies that much.
They're too much work, you say.
You hand the paper with the order to one of the chefs, and turn around to look at the baby. His mother was shaking a little dog plushie to grab his attention, while the father was taking a picture of him. The baby was as happy as ever, just by looking at the plushie: he was squealing and giggling, his arms and legs moving, and his cheeks were jiggling up and down as he moved.

"Someone's exited to be a father." You heard someone say. It was only what seemed to be a mother saying to his son, who was also looking at the baby as well.
"Mom, don't say that! Of course I am." He whispered to her. You quickly turned away because It's not like you to eavesdrop on other people. Luckily, you were called to seat another family, except that this time there was no baby.

You were as happy as you could, but nobody talked to each other at the table, not even a single glance to one another. With the menus already placed in the table, you slowly left before asking for drinks.
"One beer." The man said.
"So early in the mornin-"
"If I want a beer in the morning, I'll have a beer in the morning." The husband cut off his wife.
I don't like the feel of this, you said. You went to the bar, got the beer he asked for, and went back to your post. Comparing the two tables you attended, it seems like two different worlds in the same universe.

"Psst, she's here." You've been waiting for this all week. You tensed up, cold drops of sweat falling through your face, and your breathing started to get shorter and quicker.
Breathe in, breathe out
After a moment of calming yourself down, you tightened the collar of your shirt and walked towards one of the most important people in your life. She was already sitting down in a table, looking at you.

"Hi grandma." You haven't seen her over a year. Your mother's death affected her deeply, and she slowly started cutting off connections with family and friends until reaching a point where she was completely alone. Now she's starting to normalize, starting with seeing her grandson again.

"Come on, sit down!" She caught you by surprise. You looked to your manager to see if it was ok, and he gave you the look of assurance. You sat down , finally being able to get a good look at her: she was wearing a light pink dress with a knitted jacket, and a golden pin she says is a family heirloom. Mom was supposed to be the one to heir it, but...

"How much you've grown!" She said to me while holding my hand. "I'm sorry that I stayed away for so long, I missed you so much during that time."
"It's ok grandma, what's important is that you're back again, and everyone's very happy to see that."
She smiled at me, and I felt like back then when mom was still alive. She was always happy and serene, helping mom out with most things. She kept looking at me, with her grey eyes and warm smile.
"How old are you now?"
"23 years young. And you?"
"75 years young!"
We both laughed.
"You have your mother's eyes."
"Grandma... mom had brown eyes, dad had blue ones."
"Oh! Silly me, how could have I forgot?"

You continued to talk to the person you loved and trusted the most, enjoying that moment as much as you could.

"I wish this moment could never end."
Grandma looked around, until she laid her eyes on the small bouquets we have on the tables. She grabbed a yellow rose.
"This was your mother's favorite flower."
She grabbed a white carnation.
"This is the flower I like the most. Take these two flowers, and we'll always be with you."
She left the flowers in your hand. All of a sudden, tears started flowing from your eyes. A flood of memories came in just because of those two flowers, those two flowers that you'll never let go of.